Jarrod Laroy helps fellow Sicamous Firefighter Shane McKellar into a hazmat suit for the ammonia leak training exercise at the Sicamous and District Rec Centre on Tuesday, Feb. 5. (Jim Elliot/Eagle Valley News)

Firefighters tackle ammonia leak in training exercise

Fernie arena tragedy gives urgency to practice scenario at Shuswap recreation centre

Firefighters burst through the front door of the Sicamous and District Rec Centre and began dressing in bulky grey hazmat suits.

Outside, other emergency responders set up basins and prepared hoses.

The lights of the firetrucks outside the rec centre lit up the night on Tuesday, Feb. 5, but the public had already been warned this was only a training exercise.

The reason for the firefighters’ presence at the arena and their specialized equipment was to test their response to an ammonia leak coming from the arena’s refrigeration equipment.

Related:Ammonia leak training exercise planned for Feb. 5 in Sicamous

The early moments of the training exercise had a grim sense of urgency. The dangers posed by ammonia were highlighted by the events of Oct. 17, 2017 in Fernie where an equipment malfunction led to the death of three workers and the evacuation of a large part of the community.

Once they were into their hazmat suits and through the doors separating the arena lobby from the grandstands and ice surface, the firefighters went looking for arena staff members who were posing as victims stricken by ammonia exposure.

The hazards of ammonia are well known to the staff at the rec centre who deal with the operation and maintenance of the refrigeration equipment.

One wall of the spotlessly clean room which houses the chiller is adorned with the numerous certifications the staff hold.

Lead hand Cal Franson said all electrical systems related to the refrigeration system are inspected carefully each season before the rink begins operation and start up is overseen by an expert contractor.

Franson said the staff are trained to make adjustments when levels of ammonia that are not immediately hazardous are detected in the air.

Arena staff are equipped with small bite block respirators and full face shields which can protect them from ammonia levels under 300 parts per million.

Related:Ammonia leak prompts education for Southern Interior

The training exercise was meant to simulate a serious ammonia leak where the firefighters’ hazmat suits are necessary to safely enter the facility.

The firefighters first evacuated a simulated patient who was able to walk but had to be led out of the facility by firefighters. Firefighters then had to carry a dummy out of the building on a stretcher.

Outside the arena, another team of firefighters was preparing to decontaminate both the patients evacuated from the building and the firefighters who helped them get out.

No water was used in the simulated decontamination because of the frigid temperatures outside.

“We’ve discovered some weaknesses in our own training and we can always improve and get better. It’s getting better and better,” said Sicamous Fire Chief Brett Ogino to the firefighters gathered for a debrief after the training exercise.

Ogino praised the quick entry to the building the firefighters made but acknowledged the training exercise took place under ideal circumstances.

The firefighters donned their hazmat suits in the arena lobby for the training exercise, but in the event of a real ammonia leak, they might have to suit up in adverse weather far from the building in order to prevent themselves from being exposed.

Also on scene for the training exercise were firefighters from surrounding departments, members of the Eagle Valley Rescue Society, BC Ambulance crews and representatives from the local RCMP.

In the event of a major ammonia leak, each of these groups would have a role to play in getting exposure patients medical attention and evacuating the area surrounding the arena.

Ogino said the hot zone created by the ammonia leak simulated in the training would have encompassed Parkview Elementary, where a community event was going on the night of the training exercise.

Although preparation for a leak is essential to saving lives should one happen, Rec Centre facilities manager Wayne March said the rink at the Sicamous Rec Centre is one of the safest in the province.

He said safety measures in place have drawn praise from organizations such as Work Safe BC.


@SalmonArm
jim.elliot@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

 

Peterson Bailey ensures Kevin Allen’s hazmat suit is properly sealed before the he ammonia leak training exercise at the Sicamous and District Rec Centre on Tuesday, Feb. 5. (Jim Elliot/Eagle Valley News)

Firefighters carry a simulated ammonia exposure patient out of the Sicamous an District Rec Centre on Tuesday, Feb. 5. (Jim Elliot/Eagle Valley News)

Firefighters decontaminate a simulated ammonia exposure patient outside the Sicamous and District Rec Centre on Tuesday, Feb. 5. Jim Elliot/Eagle Valley News

Just Posted

Sockeye Salmon return to Okanagan Lake for the first time in decades

The Okanagan Nation Alliance and Fisheries and Oceans Canada restored a fish ladder damaged over 50 years ago

Sentencing date set for former West Kelowna teacher charged with child luring

Former Mount Boucherie teacher Bradley Furman will be sentenced on Dec. 16

Big Wreck will play the Kelowna Community Theatre Nov. 3

Big Wreck is a Canadian-American rock band formed by Ian Thornley in 1994

Big White receives 18 cm of snow

Snowfall comes as the resort prepares for opening day on Nov. 28.

Motionball hosts first-ever university marathon of sport at UBC Okanagan

Motionball is a national non-profit that raises awareness and funds for the Special Olympics

Hergott: Driving and talking to a passenger

Lawyer Paul Hergott writes about distracted driving with passengers

Alcohol a possible factor in crash that killed 17-year-old girl near Williams Lake

A pickup truck left the road and rolled over on Highway 20 on the weekend

Summerland man celebrates 100th birthday

Bill Kenzle credits positive attitude as secret to a long life

Rare bird spotted in Victoria draws enthusiasts from across the continent

It’s the first time a yellow-browed warbler has been reported on the mainland of North America

B.C. woman must pay $1,000 after unleashed dog bites another

Owner should never have left Bibi unattended, tribunal member wrote

Halloween musical creeps onto the Summerland Community Arts Centre stage

Tracy Fehr and the Voice Studio Singers perform on Oct. 25.

Vernon player wins ATP tour event, named to Davis Cup squad

Vasek Pospisil joins Raonic, Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime in representing Canada

Climate activist Greta Thunberg’s mural defaced in Edmonton

The eyes on the portrait were blacked out

Most Read