Fire crews in Lake Country were called to a home in the 10000 block of Okanagan Centre Road East, Sunday, after a pile of clothes caught fire in a bedroom.
According to Fire Chief Steve Windsor, the family was having a birthday party when they took a cake with candles and sparklers on it into a bedroom and one of the sparklers fell off onto the floor.
“It seems maybe a pile of clothes did catch fire and flames damaged the bedroom,” he said. “But, the family was able to put out the fire with buckets of water before we arrived.”
Although there were no visible flames when crews got on scene, the fire did damage the structure of the home.
Reports of the fire came in about 6:30 p.m. and firefighters shortly after.
The family did not spend the night in the home as they had a young baby, and Windsor recommended they stay elsewhere.