UPDATE: March 27
Residents of the community called Saranagati Village, a Krishna spiritual community that owns property on Venables Valley Road south of Ashcroft, have confirmed the identities of four people who died in a residence there on Friday, March.
They are 60-year-old Harvey Volaine; his wife Melissa, who was in her early-to-mid thirties; Melissa’s 10-year-old son Kaylex; and Melissa and Harvey’s seven-year-old son Ay.
The RCMP Southeast District Major Crimes Unit and the BC Coroners Service were called into investigate the deaths of the four, after they were found in a home at Venables Lake on Friday afternoon.
The RCMP Southeast District Major Crimes Unit and the BC Coroners Service are investigating the deaths of four individuals, after they were found in a residence at Venables Lake, B.C. on Friday afternoon.
According to some local residents there is speculation the death’s may have been caused by propane gas poisoning.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to help with the costs of the funeral services for the family. All donations will go to the Volaine family.
On the afternoon of March 24, 2017, the Ashcroft RCMP Detachment responded to a request for a wellbeing check at a residence in Venables Valley, near Ashcroft, B.C. On arrival, Ashcroft RCMP officers located four deceased persons inside the home.
As a result, the Southeast District Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was called out and is now assisting the Ashcroft Detachment with the investigation. The scene examination will be carried out throughout the weekend, with preliminary findings leading investigators to believe that there is no threat posed to the general public.
The Ashcroft RCMP and Southeast District MCU are working in conjunction with the BC Coroner’s Service. The Ashcroft Victim Assistance workers are also assisting in this matter.
No further information is being released at this time regarding the deaths of the individuals.
Update: A Venables Valley resident told The Journal that many members of the community had gathered, on Saturday afternoon, at the community’s temple to comfort each other and process what had happened. “We’re all in shock,” he said, adding that grief counsellors had been brought in to help residents.