A golf cart is believed to be behind a fire that caused approximately $250,000 in damage on Friday night.
Assistant fire chief Thomas Doherty said Monday afternoon that a golf cart parked against the exterior wall of a McCulloch Road building was to blame for the blaze, which threatened to spread from the garage to the attached home.
“The golf cart will be analyzed further to determine the exact cause of ignition,” said Doherty.
However, he earlier said that the cause of the blaze does not appear to be suspicious.
The fire first came to the attention of local firefighters after multiple 911 calls around 7:10 p.m. on Friday.
When the first firefighters arrived at 3090 McCulloch Road, they found “heavy” fire extending up the exterior wall into the attic of a large two storey attached garage at a single family home.
“Quick action by firefighters contained the fast moving fire to the garage, saving the 7,000 square foot home,” said Doherty.
The home owners were not at the property at the time of the fire.
No injuries were reported, Doherty added.