A Kelowna driver is safe after alertly stopping his car and getting out at the smell of gas.
Firefighters responded to a call for a car on fire on Friday around 1:15 p.m. near Orchard Plaza.
When they got there they were able to put out the fire in the vehicle.
The driver told the Capital News he and his friend smelled gas while they were driving and pulled the vehicle to the side of the road, before something sparked the fire and flamed were coming out of the hood.
The driver called the fire department who put on the blaze. Damage was contained to the hood area and the extent of damage was unknown.