Kelowna bush fire snuffed out quickly

The keen eye of a Kelowna couple combined with fast acting firefighters ensured that a brush fire near Poplar Point Drive and Herbert Heights Road was neatly extinguished in a matter of minutes. despite a dry forest bed.

  • Aug. 31, 2011 5:00 a.m.
Just before 11 a.m. Wednesday

Just before 11 a.m. Wednesday

The keen eye of a Kelowna couple combined with fast acting firefighting ensured that a brush blaze near a residential area at the corner of Poplar Point Drive and Herbert Heights Road was neatly extinguished in a matter of minutes.

Pat and Ron Reiter were on their daily walk when they caught sight of a smoke plume rising into the air. They assumed it was someone doing a yard-waste burn, but in short order realized it wasn’t quite so simple.

Smoke was actually coming from a bush fire that, despite their efforts to stomp it out, was spreading.

They then called 911 and the Kelowna Fire Department was quick to respond and douse the blaze.

The fire is believed to have spread to around 15 to 50 meters at its height, although it only took enforcement a matter of minutes to snuff it out.

At the scene, officials speculated it may have been sparked by a cigarette flicked from a window, which prompted a reminder of the dry conditions at hand.

Although the season started soggy, August has been dry and the forest floor is prime for ignition.

The Fire Danger Rating from the Wildfire Management Branch warns that fires start easily, burn vigorously, and challenge fire suppression efforts. Extreme caution must be used in any forest activities. Open burning and industrial activities may be restricted.

Kelowna Capital News