Four Kelowna city councillors participated in a meeting by video conference on March 23 when they approved the 2020 budget carryover. (Michael Rodriguez - Capital News)

Kelowna council endorses $126 million in 2020 budget carryovers

Budget carryovers include $126 million in operating and capital carryover expenditures

Kelowna city council endorsed its 2020 carryover budget on March 23 with $126 million in operating and capital carryover expenditures.

The carryover budget includes projects deferred from 2019 or multi-year projects set for completion within the next few years.

The projects do not add to the 2020 budget’s taxation demand. 56 per cent of the projects will be funded through the city’s general fund and the remaining 44 per cent come from self-funding sources such as the water utility, wastewater and airport funds.

Significant projects include the following:

  • The process to secure and outfit an RCMP Mobile Command Centre to enhance tactical support, search operations, communication needs and community outreach
  • Several items relating to the SEKID (South East Kelowna Irrigation District) integration project, supporting a resilient and high-quality water supply across the City Water Utility
  • Continuing to support our Healthy Housing Strategy through additional affordable housing land acquisition

There are three stages of the city’s annual budget process: provisional budget in December, carryovers in March and the final budget that will be presented on April 27, 2020. At that time, council will consider the final budget for adoption, setting the final taxation demand increase.

Following budget deliberations in December, Council approved a provisional overall tax increase of 4.15 per cent. This includes a 2.33 per cent increase for general municipal tax demand increase for 2020 and a 1.82 per cent infrastructure levy increase which was previously approved in the 2019 budget. On average, this means an $86 increase on a City of Kelowna residential property tax bill (based on an average home assessed at $670,900).

READ MORE: Kelowna council approves 4.15 per cent tax increase in provisional budget

READ MORE: City of Kelowna 2020 budget deliberations


@michaelrdrguez
michael.rodriguez@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

COSAR attends one search and two rescues over long weekend

Teams searched for a missing cliff jumper, were called out to a sinking boat and an injured ATVer

EDITORIAL: Improving highway safety

Highway 97 has seen plenty of collisions and accidents over the years

Kelowna house and hip hop artist grows in popularity with new single

Edge’s ‘Vice City Vibes’ is available on all streaming platforms now

UPDATE: Rose Valley Dam wildfire in West Kelowna knocked back on all flanks

The fire is three hectares in size and was first reported at around 2:30 p.m. on Aug. 2.

VIDEO: Otter pups learn to swim at B.C. wildlife rescue facility

Watch Critter Care’s Nathan Wagstaffe help seven young otters go for their first dip

VIDEO: Wildfire erupts north of Sicamous above Shuswap Lake

Observers suspect fireworks sparked blaze, Wildfire BC states cause still unknown

Canadians can travel to Hawaii in September; no quarantine with negative COVID test

Travellers will be required to pay for their own tests prior to arriving

Alberta to require masks at schools this fall, but still no mandate in B.C.

B.C. students are also set to return to classrooms in September

Anonymous letters tell Vancouver Island family their kids are too loud

Letter said the noise of kids playing in Parksville backyard is ‘unbearable’

Police watchdog investigates Kamloops RCMP after stabbing death

The IIO is investigating the police’s lack of success in locating the man charged in stabbing

Forty-three properties near Dry Lake, along Highway 5A, under evacuation alert

Wildfire has been burning out of control north of Princeton for two days

Wildfire near Merritt creates smoke for drivers on Coquihalla

Coldwater River fire was estimated at seven hectares Aug. 3 and classified as out of control

Thompson Okanagan Tourist Association: Who can’t access your business?

TOTA launches video to encourage proprietors to remove barriers

Most Read