Kelowna fire crews knockdown electrical blaze sparked by scooters

Four firetrucks responded to the blaze

UPDATE: 2:26 p.m.

Fire crews had to force their way into a storage unit at 1974 Moss Court after reports of visible smoke coming from the ground floor.

According to Platoon Captain John Kelly crews were met with heavy smoke conditions upon entry.

“A fire involving several electric scooters was located and quickly extinguished. The fire was contained to the area and contents, and did not involve the structure,” said Kelly.

The cause of the blaze is deemed to be electrical in nature. Serval of the units in the building were affected by smoke and had to be ventilated. Technical Safety B.C. will be investigating.

————-

ORIGINAL:

Fire crews responded to smoke coming out of a storage unit at 1974 Moss Court in Kelowna this morning.

Chad Kyllo works for a contracting business on the top floor of the building. He said someone stores electric scooters in one of the bottom units and he believed they are powered at night.

Platoon Captain Kelly Stevens said the fire began in the charging system for one of the scooters and was contained to the unit, which sustained no structural damage.

Stevens said the smoke migrated to other units of the building.

Nobody was in the unit that caught fire and no injuries were reported.


@michaelrdrguez
michael.rodriguez@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

RCMP, firefighters rally in support for health care workers in Kelowna

Pandosy Street was packed with supporters Saturday night

Apparent gas leak on Highway 33 in Kelowna

Emergency crews have taped off access to Centex Gas on Highway 33 near Asher Road

Kelowna RCMP plan mini parade past KGH to recognize health care workers

Kelowna officers will flash lights and sounds both Saturday and Sunday night

Perry and Stanley awarded top UBC Okanagan rookies

The volleyball star and soccer star won the prize over Heat’s virtual awards banquet

Interior Health officials outline pandemic response in virtual town hall

Kelowna-Lake County MLA Norm Letnick moderates digital discussion, Q&A with Interior Health leadership

B.C. is seeing the highest rate of COVID-19 recovery in Canada, and there’s a few reasons why

British Columbia was one of the first to see rise in COVID-19 cases, and has also switched up testing

UPDATE: Coronavirus concerns prompt event cancellations across the Okanagan

This is a running list of events cancelled across the Okanagan

No hesitation; two bystanders assist in South Okanagan house fire rescue

“I’d do it for anybody,” says Penticton man after assisting in house fire rescue

WATCH: Okanagan producer treats neighbours to live music from safe distance

Neighbours practiced social distancing as Jeff Johnson played songs from his front steps

Sewers stitch masks to free up supplies for front-line health-care workers

“We have little old ladies sewing up a storm,” said Joan Davis

Experts weigh in on best handling of groceries during COVID-19 pandemic

Study suggests the virus can live for up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to three days on plastic

COVID-19 world update: Enforceable quarantine in NYC?; France orders 1 billion masks

Spain warns EU’s future at stake; New York governor calls Trump’s idea ‘federal declaration of war

Earth Hour 2020 kicks off online Saturday night

Action moves online due to COVID-19

Okanagan woman baking for those in need amid COVID-19

Vernon’s Crystal Hedlund launched a GoFundMe page to generate funds for baking materials

Most Read