A Kelowna man died Monday from injuries incurred from touching a high voltage wire.
The 35-year-old man who was electrocuted April 26 after coming in contact with a live ground wire in the Luxmoore Park area of East Kelowna.
It remains unclear why the man touched a live wire, but police have said he and a 44-year-old companion were biking in an area where many wires had been tampered with when the injury was incurred.
Coiled (copper) cables lay at the bottom of several FortisBC poles in the area, said Clark, noting it gave the initial impression to police that there was a theft in the works.
However, no charges have been pressed against the duo.
“The resale value of copper continues to be an avenue that people are experimenting with and obviously it can be very dangerous,” Clark said.
Ongoing theft from Kelowna’s 14,000 street lights has been a much lamented problem.
In the first few months of 2011, more than $160,000 worth of wiring was stolen from Kelowna light standards, prompting the purchase of anti-theft lids/boxes. The city set aside $900,000 over the next three years on the anti-theft devices.