The last few years may have prompted some businesses to batten down the hatches to ride out the economic storm, but Lake City Casino has taken a different tack.
“Casinos aren’t recession-proof, but we want to provide great customer service,” said Jeff Pascoe, vice-president of the Okanagan operations.
“It doesn’t happen automatically, so we decided to step up our game and improve our look and feel.”
And they took a big step up. By the estimates of their marketing campaign, in fact, the upgrades are “fabulous.”
As customers quickly learned when the casino upgrades were revealed Friday morning, the casino added 10,000 square feet to its footprint, and enhanced the services they offer.
“We’ve nearly doubled the number of (slot) machines we have,” he said.
“Now we’re up to 518, from 367.”
Additionally, the enhancements include a poker room, which opens June 20.
“Poker has become a lot more popular,” said Pescoe, noting that Lake City Casino first launched a poker room in their Penticton facility and it has been very successful.
And it isn’t just gaming opportunities taking up the new space.
A newly installed stage will allow the casino to offer live entertainment, which Pescoe said will likely be from local bands.
Those who are feeling peckish can go to the new Grove Bistro and Lounge, which feature an extensive lunch and dinner menu that include daily lunch buffets.
• 10,000 square foot addition, bringing the total square footage of the casino to 30,000 sq. ft.
• 46 TV Screens
• two new outdoor smoking patios
• more natural light
• convenient entry from parkade
• $13 million investment
• 232 slot machines in new space, with an eventual total of 518 slots
• number of new employees upon completion of project, 50
• new poker room opening next month with five Texas Hold’em tables and TV screens