Kelowna Fire Department file photo. Image credit: Carmen Weld

Late night fire destroys Black Mountain home

A Kelowna family is safe however they won’t be able to return to their home after Friday night fire

A home on Garner Road in the Black Mountain area of Kelowna suffered extensive damage after a fire last night that was caused by candles burning in the home.

Sixteen firefighters from the Kelowna Fire Department battled the house blaze, which broke out aound 11:30 p.m. last night in the single-family home in the 1700 block of Garner.

As the first crews arrived they saw heavy smoke and 20-foot high flames coming from the reard of the second floor of the residence.

Fire crews battled the flames from the interior to quickly contain and knock down the fire inside and a second hose line contained the fire from spreading to large pine trees around the home.

Unfortunately extensive fire damage did extend to the exterior first and second floors of the home and into the roof/attic space.

Three people and one cat where home at the time but got out safely.

They will be looked after by Emergency Support Services, as they will not be able to get back into the house, because of fire damage.

The fire department says it was able to pin-point the cause as being from burning candles.

Three fire engines, one rescue unit, one tender truck as well as a safety and a command vehicle attended the scene along with BC Ambulance Service, RCMP and Fortis.

Kelowna Fire Department would like to advise the public to always have a working smoke alarm in your home.

Just Posted

Kelowna Gospel Mission creates more meals with new slicer

The slicer was donated by the Morningside Rotary Club

Jumper cables ignite small car fire

Fire crews quickly put out a car fire in Rutland Wednesday afternoon

Central Okanagan residents urged to chip it, not chuck it

Plans already in place to dispose of Christmas trees after the upcoming holiday

Outbreak affects eight people in Vernon

UPDATE: Gastrointestinal illness reported at Vernon Jubilee Hospital

Me Too At Work: Sexual assault and harassment in the B.C. workplace

Introducing an in-depth look at who is affected and what can be done

Star gazing: Mars – the Red Planet

Mars is part of our culture, currently of extreme scientific interest, and sufficiently like Earth

Kelowna auto dealer revs up KGH building project with big donation

Kelowna Toyota has donated $30,000 to help build JoeAnna’s House on hospital grounds

More than 20,000 pounds of garbage removed from riverside homeless camps

Two camps taken down last week on the banks of the Fraser and Chilliwack rivers

Suspect in Revelstoke standoff killed himself: RCMP

Mohammadali Darabi, suspect in the Calgary homicide of his roommate, was stopped in Revelstoke

Clinton visits Vancouver, applauds Trudeau, celebrates Democrats’ win in Alabama

Clinton told crowd she cheered when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appointed the country’s first gender-balanced cabinet.

VIDEO: Salt Spring Islanders ferry piano to their floating home

Everyone enjoys a little music on the water, but not everyone has a piano on their boat

RCMP volunteers step up parking lot patrols for Christmas

Citizen’s On Patrol look to deter criminal opportunists while giving shoppers peace of mind

Bomb detonated in Kamloops neighbourhood

Kamloops RCMP are investigating after an improvised explosive device was detonated Wednesday morning

Most Read