Lit barbecue sets Cadder Ave. house ablaze

A barbecue that ignited nearby materials on fire is behind a blaze that caused $100,000 damage to a Cadder Avenue home.

A barbecue that ignited nearby materials on fire is behind a blaze that caused $100,000 damage to a Cadder Avenue home.

Fire crews were called to the 400-block of Cadder Avenue after they received multiple 911 calls at around 6:45 p.m. on Saturday.

“First arriving crews found a two storey residence with fire on the outside of the building that was quickly spreading into the attic, second floor and threatening a neighboring building,” said assistant fire chief Jason Brolund.

Sixteen firefighters fought the blaze, preventing it from spreading to a neighbouring house.

However, a nearby shed was damaged.

They did manage to remove several items of value from the burning home, including a large collection of musical instruments, Brolund noted.

No one was injured in the fire and the three residents and their pets were being cared for by Emergency Support Services through the early part of the week. “The cause of the fire was determined to be a barbecue that started nearby materials on fire, then extended to the outside of the house,” said Brolund.

Damage from the fire is estimated at $100,000.

 

Kelowna Capital News