A Kelowna resident was treated Friday for minor burns and smoke inhalation — but refused to go to KGH—after a fire broke out in their home.
At approximately 11:09 a.m. Kelowna Fire Dept. received a 911 call reporting a Mobile home in East Kelowna was on fire.
“Responding units reported that the fire had been partially extinguished by the occupants of the mobile home,” said Kelowna Fire Department platoon captain Tim Light.
“Fire department personnel extinguished the fire and checked for extension on the mobile home and a small shed that was in the rear yard.”
The fire was contained to the exterior of both buildings with some minor smoke in the mobile home which was cleared out by the crews on scene.
The two occupants have not been displaced and will be remaining in the home.
The cause of the fire was fireplace ashes that were disposed in a combustible container. These caught fire and in turn ignited the surrounding materials.
Kelowna Fire Department responded with, 18 Personnel, 3 Engines 1 Rescue Vehicle 1 Bush Truck a Command Vehicle and a Safety Truck.
Kelowna Fire Department would like to remind the public to always dispose of fireplace ashes in noncombustible containers and to make sure the ashes are cold before disposing of them.