Effective immediately, the Regional District has closed Antlers Beach Regional Park near the south end of Peachland.
The waterfront park, beach, picnic and parking area sustained damage last week as a result of gusty winds whipping up waves on the historically high Okanagan Lake.
The park will be closed for up to three weeks as the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure installs armoring along the shoreline to protect the parking lot and access road from further erosion from high lake water levels.
The following Regional and Community Parks are closed until further notice:
- Kalamoir Regional Park – half km. section of Water Front Trail closed – detour via other trails
- Okanagan Centre Safe Harbour Regional Park on Okanagan Centre Road West in Lake Country
- Glen Canyon Regional Park from the Acorn bridge downstream to the Gellatly Road parking area and from the Constable Neil Bruce entrance upstream to the Covington Crescent entrance at Last Mountain Community Park
- Hardy Falls Regional Park
- Mill Creek Regional Park
- Fintry Community Park Access #1 (boat launch)
- Killiney Beach Community Park – including the boat launch
When it’s safe, Regional Parks staff will be assessing the condition of bridges, trails and other infrastructure in these closed parks. Please be aware that parks may be closed on short notice if conditions change.
The Regional District encourages residents and visitors to the Central Okanagan to explore the many regional parks that remain open and are completely accessible. It’s a great opportunity for people to visit a new regional park and check out the unique features, geography and amenities. You can find them at www.regionaldistrict.com/pickapark.