Customers and employees were evacuated from The Brick Monday afternoon after a strong natural gas odour was detected in the area.
Fire and ambulance crews arrived around 2:30 p.m. but quickly determined there was not a gas leak at the building.
“We had a precautionary evacuation of the building because we had, what we thought, was the smell of natural gas,” said David Stott, general sales manager of The Brick in Kelowna.
“It turns out that somewhere (near) Blue Heights, someone was burning off some axel grease or something—it has a similar smell to natural gas.”
As a precaution we evacuated everyone out of the building and made sure everyone was OK.”
The evacuation lasted about 20 minutes.