New open burning complaint phone number to get fired up

The continued moderate to high fire hazard means a later start for those eligible to conduct open burning.

The continued moderate to high fire hazard means a later start for those eligible to conduct open burning.

Central Okanagan fire chiefs have decided to begin issuing permits for open burning starting Oct. 15.

When the season begins in the Central Okanagan, there will be a new twist.

Before lighting any fire, eligible property owners with a valid permit must call a new toll-free Outdoor Burning Hotline: 1-855-262-2876 (BURN).

It will tell them if open burning is allowed on a particular day. Both the venting and air quality must be good in order for burning to occur within Central Okanagan fire jurisdictions.

Under the Regional District Smoke Control Bylaw, creating nuisance smoke from open burning is not allowed in the City of Kelowna, the District of Lake Country, District of West Kelowna and the Central Okanagan East and West Electoral Areas or under the bylaws of the District of Peachland.

Violators could receive a fine or be charged with the cost of putting out the fire.

Residents are encouraged to report anyone illegally burning on a non-burning day by calling the Fire Department Dispatch Center at 250-469-8577.

Fire authorities throughout the region will begin issuing permits effective Oct. 15 for those property owners that qualify to burn yard waste outdoors.

Under Regional District and local fire bylaws, permitted open burning must be complete by April 30.

Fire chiefs may however change the date depending on the fire hazard in their area.

Starting Oct. 15, those people with properties greater than one hectare will be allowed to burn outdoors, but only after receiving a permit from their local fire authority and only after calling the Outdoor Burning Hotline to confirm both air and venting conditions are favourable.

Farmers and large lot owners must also follow any regulations before lighting any fire.

Eligible property owners within the Central Okanagan East or the Central Okanagan West electoral areas may obtain a permit by calling the Regional District at 250-469-6223 (Long Distance Collect Calls are accepted) weekdays only between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., excluding holidays.

All other eligible property owners must obtain a permit from their municipal fire department.

All Central Okanagan property owners regardless of property size are encouraged to take advantage of other options to dispose of their yard waste.

The bi-weekly curbside yard waste collection program will continue through to the end of November.


Kelowna Capital News