A shot from the old CN Rail line between Kelowna and Coldstream

Okanagan Rail Trail Initiative upbeat about chances for rail trail on old CN line

With CN set to negotiate with municipal governments volunteer group giving rail trail an 80 per cent chance of becoming reality

  • Aug. 25, 2014 10:00 a.m.

The Okanagan Rail Trail Initiative is more confident than ever that a rail corridor between Kelowna and the outer edges of Vernon could still become a reality.

CN Rail is in the process of abandoning the nearly 50 kilometre stretch of railway and as part of the abandonment process has offered the line to first the federal and the provincial governments.

However neither level of government purchased the line and now CN Rail will try to negotiate with municipal governments to offload the railway.

The fact the two senior levels of government did not reach a deal wasn’t a surprise to the Okanagan Rail Trail Initiative and in fact the volunteer group says they are giving a potential trail a better than even chance of becoming a reality.

“We actually didn’t expect the federal or provincial governments to purchase the right of way,” said Brad Clements, a director for the rail trail group. “We know there is a strong appetite for preserving the corridor at the municipal level and we are confident they will negotiate with keen interest to strike a deal. Last October we gave this a 20 per cent chance of happening. Today we give it an 80 per cent chance.”

With the rail line out of use and CN looking to sell it to government, Clements and a group of individuals began lobbying for a trail to link the communities of Kelowna, Lake Country, Coldstream and Vernon. The Okanagan Indian Band is also involved in the process and is claiming parts of the trail as traditional First Nations land.

Clements says having the OIB involved in the process is integral to its success.

“The Okanagan Indian Band is a key partner in this process as the right of way also passes through two of their reservation properties,” said Clements. “This is just part of the process of turning this rail line into a trail. We respect their current situation and will support them in finding a solution.”

Reports have the asking price for CN Rail to sell the line as high as $50 million. Local governments from all of the municipalities have joined forces to try and make the trail a reality and Clements says the asking price is just the start of talks.

“It’s just that, an asking price,” he said. “The price will be unreasonably high. I would suspect the municipalities will in turn offer an unreasonably low first offer. The real work will begin after that. We know that both parties wish to see this deal work so I would think they will both work to actively find a solution.”

Just Posted

Kelowna woman only Canadian to train in Danish sailing program

A Kelowna sailor compares her life at sea to manning an old… Continue reading

Okanagan Sun juggle coaching staff

Kelowna football club makes a move within its coaching ranks

Kelowna West Libertarian goes after ICBC

Kyle Geronazzo feels B.C. drivers are being “ripped off” by the provincial auto insurer

Kelowna finalists announced for small business awards

The 15th annual Small Business BC Awards will be held Feb. 23

Former councillor announces mayoral bid in West Kelowna

Gord Milson says he’s running for mayor in next October’s civic election

What’s happening

Find out about events happening in your community this weekend

Ice-cream-eating bear draws controversy

An Alberta Wildlife Park posted a video this week of one of their bears going through a Dairy Queen drive-through

Fernie, RCMP go to court over city log books in fatal ammonia leak probe

Log books center stage in clashing of investigations between the city and RCMP

B.C.’s biggest pot plant planned for Oliver

Co-founder Tony Holler said the 700,000 sq. ft. facility would produce 100,000 kg of pot per year

High-end whisky seized in B.C. bar raids

Raids end in seizures at Victoria, Nanaimo and Vancouver whisky joints

Letter: Let’s vote for a return to democracy in November.

Letter writer says a coming referendum vote could change the way political power is distributed

Train derails in Northwest B.C.

CN reports no injuries or dangerous goods involved after coal train derailment.

King’s thrilling tale brought to the Vernon stage

Arts Club Theatre Company presents Misery at the Vernon and District Performing Arts Centre Jan. 30

Double-doubles and demonstrations: Employees rally outside Tim Hortons

Protests held in response to Ontario franchise owners cutting employee benefits and breaks

Most Read