Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) published its annual national list of the Top 10 Most Frequently Stolen Vehicles today.
Once again, Ford trucks and high-priced SUVs feature prominently.
Top 10 most frequently stolen vehicles across Canada:
1. 2007 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
2. 2006 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
3. 2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
4. 2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
5. 2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
6. 2015 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
7. 2003 Cadillac Escalade 4-door 4WD SUV
8. 2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
9. 2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4WD Pickup
10. 2010 Acura ZDX 4-door AWD SUV
“After large declines in auto theft activity over the last decade, the number of stolen vehicles has gone up 6 per cent from last year, to 78,849 across Canada,” said Garry Robertson, national director of investigative services for IBC. “The biggest increases were in Alberta where stolen vehicle numbers are up 32 per cent and Prince Edward Island where they are up 19 per cent.”
“We see from this list that criminals continue to favour all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive, older, high-end vehicles,” Robertson added.
Keep your vehicle safe
- Never leave your vehicle running when unattended
- Park in well-lit areas
- When parking your car, always close the windows and lock the doors
- Put valuables and packages in the trunk, where they’re out of sight
- Keep your car in the garage at night
- Don’t leave personal information in the glove box. Take your insurance and ownership documents with you when you park your vehicle.
To report a stolen vehicle call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).