UPDATE: Pedestrians healing from incident at ‘dangerous’ Kelowna cross walk

Emergency officials responded to a cross walk that neighbours say is unsafe Saturday evening

Two pedestrians struck crossing Baron Road together last Saturday are healing from the encounter.

Cpl. Jesse O’Donaghey said the Kelowna RCMP were called to a crosswalk at Baron Road at 6:23 p.m. Nov. 18 with a report of a pedestrian being struck.

“When we arrived we found out two pedestrians were struck crossing northbound toward Superstore in a marked crosswalk,” he said, adding that the pedestrians were from Kelowna.

A 22-year-old man hit suffered moderate to serious injuries that are not believe to be life threatening and an 18-year-old suffered injuries that are considered moderate.

Throughout the aftermath of the incident the driver of the white FORD 150 that hit the pedestrians stayed on scene.

“Investigators ruled out alcohol as a factor (to the crash),” said O’Donaghey.

Mounties also learned that the driver may have been unfamiliar with the area, and was somewhat lost and did not see pedestrians in time to stop, said O’Donaghey.

Some other potential contributing factors were that the intersection had not fully been lit up yet and the pedestrians were wearing dark clothing.

If any witnesses are available Witnesses can contact Const. Troy Bevan of the Kelowna municipal traffic section on that. 250-762-3300

Original, Nov. 18, 6:58 p.m.

A pedestrian was struck at a Kelowna crosswalk that neighbours say is a dangerous place to cross the road, early Saturday evening.

Ambulance and Kelowna Fire Department responded to the crosswalk at Underhill and Baron Road in Kelowna.

One resident who lives near the location and uses the crosswalk says it’s a dangerous spot where cars fail to stop for residents on a regular basis.

Injuries to the pedestrian were unknown.

If you see news, send pictures or video to newstips@kelownacapnews.com

To report a typo, email: edit@kelownacapnews.com.


@KelownaCapNews
newstips@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

 

Just Posted

Kelowna Rockets hire former NHL defenceman as new head coach

Adam Foote named new head coach following the firing of Jason Smith earlier in week

UBCO Heat lose first homecoming match to number-one team in Canada

The UBC Thunderbirds earned 2-0 against the Heat

Former Kamloops sheriff caught in sex-related sting pleads guilty to lesser charge

Kevin Johnston will be sentenced on Nov. 6 for his role in communicating online with a person posing as a 14-year-old girl.

UPDATE: Peachland mayoral race may come down to luck of the draw

Harry Gough led incumbent Cindy Fortin by one vote on election night Saturday

New faces elected to Central Okanagan school board

New trustees will face school enrolment growth issues

Your morning news in 90: Oct. 23, 2018

Tune in for 90 seconds to get the top headlines for the Okanagan, Shuswap and Similkameen.

Around the BCHL: Chilliwack Chiefs snag spot in CJHL national rankings

Around the BCHL is a look at what’s happening in the BCHL and the junior A world.

Rural regions get priority for B.C. referendum mail-out

Ballot security measures aim to protect against voter fraud

B.C.’s natural gas supply could see 50% dip through winter due to pipeline blast

It’s been two weeks since the Enbridge pipeline ruptured near Prince George on Oct. 9, sparking a large fireball

Mega Millions, Powerball prizes come down to math, long odds

Biggest myth: The advertised $1.6 billion Mega Millions prize and $620 million Powerball prize aren’t quite real

2 Canadians advance to finals at world wrestling championships

Olympic champion Erica Wiebe just missed joining them with a loss 3-1 to three-time world champion Adeline Gray of the United States in the 76-kg event

Outdoor retailer MEC vows to boost diversity after online complaint

Mountain Equipment Co-op was criticized for perpetuating a white-only picture of the outdoors

Hergott: Word choices matter

Lawyer Paul Hergott discusses politically correctness in his latest column.

Trump vilifies caravan, says he’ll cut Central American aid

Despite Mexican efforts to stop them at the Guatemala-Mexico border, about 5,000 Central American migrants resumed their advance toward the U.S. border Sunday in southern Mexico.

Most Read