Although Premier Christy Clark was only a two-hour drive away from flood-ravaged Sicamous Tuesday, she said she doesn’t plan on visiting the area in the near future.
“I don’t want to get in the way of any of the efforts of people that are working out there to protect communities,” said Clark.
“I will help in any way that I can, and I think probably the best way that we can help right now is to provide support, to make sure our staff that are there are doing what they’re trained to do and monitoring this on a daily basis.”
Clark appeared at the West Kelowna Fire Hall Tuesday to announce West Kelowna’s partnership in the province’s smoke alarm campaign.
When the floor was opened up to the media, the conversation quickly changed gears to the flood situation.
“We’ve got a million sandbags out there across the province right now—we are working overtime,” said Clark.
“We’re monitoring it closely and we are going to provide, through our disaster assistance program, support for people whose primary homes have been affected.”
The premier added that the province has spent nearly $125 million over the last 10 years to deal with flooding.
Clark credited the BC Government and Service Employees’ Union with continuing to work despite wage negotiations breaking down last week.
“They’ve said that even though they may be in a position to deliver us with strike notice and maybe even go on strike while this flood threat continues, they will not withdraw any support for communities that are under threat of flood.
“It’s a great sign of good faith in all the people that serve us in government.”