The keen eye of a Kelowna couple combined with fast-acting firefighting ensured that a brush blaze near a residential area at the corner of Poplar Point Drive and Herbert Heights Road was neatly extinguished in a matter of minutes Wednesday.
Pat and Ron Reiter were on their regular walk around 10 a.m. when they saw smoke rising near their route. They assumed it was someone burning yard waste, but soon realized it wasn’t quite so simple.
Smoke was actually coming from a brush fire that, despite their immediate efforts to stomp it out, was spreading.
Realizing that they needed more than foot-power, they called the Kelowna Fire Department which responded with a fire engine and its bush truck within minutes.
The fire spread to about 50 square meters at its height, although it only took matter of minutes to snuff it out.
At the scene, officials speculated it may have been sparked by a cigarette flicked from a window, which prompted a reminder of the very dry conditions at hand.
Although the season started soggy, August has been particularly dry and the forest floor is prime for ignition.
The fire danger rating from the Wildfire Management Branch warns that fires start easily, burn vigorously, and challenge fire suppression efforts.
Extreme caution must be used in any forest activities.
Open burning and industrial activities may be restricted.