Carli Berry/Capital News

Rent isn’t cheaper in a Kelowna micro suite

The Cambridge House suites are around $1,200 to $1,300

While micro suites may be touted as a cheaper housing alternative in Kelowna, renters will find little difference in price at the Cambridge House.

Kevin Bird, with K West Homes, said there’s a range in age of renters at the complex, but the rentals aren’t more affordable than anywhere else.

Rentals in the building tend to be priced around $1,200 to $1,300 a month, Bird said. Kelowna’s one bedroom rentals site at about $1,280, according to PadMapper. He thinks there will be a need for micro suites in the community as the university continues to grow. Bird said the suites were not marketed as affordable, but “the fact is they’re the most affordable place in Kelowna for purchase.” While micro suites are gaining population in other parts of the world, Andrew Smith, a real estate agent with Royal LePage, said Kelowna may or may not be ready for these tiny apartments.

And prices aren’t necessarily coming down, Smith said. One unit in the Cambridge House has been sitting on the market on and off since 2017. It was listed as $199,900 for 226 days in 2017, but then was taken off the market. It went back on the market for $189,220 in June 2018, but was then reduced to $179,888 before being taken off the market again.

READ MORE: Small homes, small benefits: Speculators eye up Kelowna’s micro suite pool

It came back on the market in October, asking for $235,800.

“They’re not reducing it, they’re just not selling it. They’re waiting it out, and they’ll eventually get their price, they always do,” Smith said, adding micro suites are also used by people from Alberta, who are visiting for short periods of time, and as rentals for students.

Those who purchase homes and wait to sell is not uncommon as the real estate market has been increasing in price since the Second World War, he said.

Bird said would build more micro suites after this complex. The Cambridge suites originally sold on average of around $150,000, with the max price at $194,000. The marketing price for the units started at $94,900, he said.

RELATED: Proposed development in Lake Country calls for micro-dwellings, commercial space

“That wasn’t a real number, it was for (one unit), but it was just to get people excited in our marketing.”

The Cambridge House has 192 units. Bird estimated that about 75 per cent of the building is investors while the other 25 per cent is owners living in the building, including seniors.

The suites first sold out in the summer of 2016, he said.

“We’re seeing a shift in the residential economy right now and we’re starting to see more activity in the Cambridge suites. They’re selling every week… and they are selling well,” Bird said.

@carliberry_
carli.berry@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Four ride hailing applications rejected by Transportation Safety Board in Okanagan

Decision means Kabu Ride is still only company to be approved for ride hailing in region

Multi-vehicle collision creates congestion along Harvey Ave in Kelowna

Accident occurred at approximately 4:50 p.m on Friday

Tess Critchlow: Local snowboarder represents Big White on the national stage

She competed in the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang in South Korea in 2018

GoFundMe launched to help Kelowna girl who battles mysterious migraines

Greta Friesen has been battling reoccurring migraines for last three and a half years

Tamara McLellan: Creating the next generation of female entrepreneurs

She is the executive director of Her International

It’s Treat Week at Kelowna’s BC SPCA branch

Get some treats and meet some furry friends

Developer of RV resort west of Revelstoke ordered to stop selling lots

The Superintendent of Real Estate has serious concerns that buyers may not receive their purchase

North Okanagan prays for women of Zimbabwe

World Day of Prayer celebrated in 2,000 Canadian communities, one of 170 countries

Two law enforcement trucks ‘deliberately’ set on fire in northern B.C., RCMP say

Police say they have video evidence of a person in the area of the truck fires

Trans Canada east of Revelstoke to be closed overnight

The highway will reopen at 10 a.m. Feb. 29

Leap Year means we get an extra day in February, so how are you spending it?

People online have a number of suggestions and plans on how they will be spending Saturday

Greta sticker that drew outrage in Alberta not child pornography: RCMP

X-Site Energy Services has denied having anything to do with the stickers

Local vocal talents sought for Okanagan stage

Okangan Singer-Songwriter Competition auditions underway

Bald eagle hit by train in northern B.C. has a chance of survival

The raptor has been taken to OWL in the Lower Mainland for recovery

Most Read