Sawdust insulation made fire at old Kelowna house volatile

Kelowna firefighters quickly put out a fire on a back deck and roof at midnight, but sawdust insulation made it tricky.

  • Thu Oct 27th, 2016 6:00pm
  • News

At midnight Kelowna Fire Dispatch received a 911 call reporting smoke in the area of the 1800 block of Abbott St.

When the first unit arrived they found smoke coming from the rear of the residence.

Once a hose line was deployed crews went around to the rear of the house where they found the back deck and some of the roof on fire.

The fire was quickly extinguished and a check was started to look for any extension of the fire. As it was an old house, sawdust was used as insulation which made the overhaul difficult.

Damage to the structure is extensive but the house was vacant at the time of the fire and no one was injured.

Kelowna fire department responded with three engines, a rescue vehicle, a command truck and a safety unit along with 16 personnel.

Investigators will be on scene today to assess where and why the fire started.

Reminder: Check your smoke alarms regularly.