RCMP are recommending charges connected with the incident on April 23. Photo credit: Andrea DeMeer Andrea DeMeer RCMP is recommending charges connected with the incident April 23.

Teachers say Princeton high school should have been locked down

Union brings in Worksafe BC over handling of starter pistol incident

Princeton teachers are upset with the way high school administrators dealt with an incident last month when a student produced a replica handgun.

Meanwhile RCMP are recommending charges to the crown for a 17-year-old male, who cannot be identified.

According to Corporal Chad Parsons a charge of possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose is pending.

Richard Jensen, president of the Princeton District Teachers Union, said he believes school policy was not followed when the principal and vice-principal approached a young man and asked to search his backpack.

Principal Patrick Kaiser learned of the replica gun – a starter’s pistol – from another student who had seen it, but Kaiser did not know if the weapon was real.

Teachers “are extremely concerned that a lockdown didn’t happen,” said Jensen.

“This has to do with workplace safety…We’ve referred the matter to Worksafe BC to determine whether or not the board policies have been followed.”

Jensen was called to the school by a teacher a couple of hours after the incident occurred on April 23.

“I can assure you I have put significant man hours into this issue and I’m still awaiting some feedback. It’s an ongoing issue at this point.”

According to district superintendent Steve McNiven, there are numerous policies that might apply to the incident at Princeton Secondary School, covering weapons, emergency procedures, and school safety.

“We have at least four policies that these things fall under…We certainly need to review those policies and take a look at them and see if anything can be improved.”

McNiven has been contacted by Worksafe BC.

“At this point they are asking us to continue with our review of it so that’s what we are doing.”

That review, called a Violent Threat Risk Assessment Protocol, will include a meeting with teachers this week.

McNiven said he is concerned the union approached Worksafe. “Yes, but I also think we are going through a good process and I think that particularly…we will get an opportunity to hear what their questions and concerns are.”

He declined to state whether the student at the centre of the incident has returned to school.

“I won’t comment on the student specifically at this time. I won’t respond to that.”

Related: Charges may be laid after starter pistol seized at school

Related: Student produces gun at Princeton Secondary School

To report a typo, email:
publisher@similkameenspotlight.com
.



andrea.demeer@similkameenspotlight.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Battling winter blues, depression and SAD after the holidays

Kick the blues on ‘Blue Monday’ that is supposedly the most depressing day of the year

Former Kelowna city manager downplays possible Costco move

Ron Mattiussi says if store leaves for Westside, another big box retailer will likely take the site

Rockets make NHL Central Scouting Bureau mid-season rankings

Lassi Thomson is the top ranked Rocket in the 14th spot

Super blood wolf moon fills Okanagan skies, to photographers’ delight

Photographers had a rare chance Sunday to capture a rare lunar eclipse

Find me my furever home: Mittens and Boots

Meet Mittens and Boots who are available for adoption at the Kelowna BC SPCA

Trial starts for man accused of killing Winnipeg bus driver

The Winnipeg bus driver was stabbed multiple times back in 2017

Giuliani clarifies comments about Trump Tower Moscow project

Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani clarifies comments he made

Teen in confrontation with Native American: I didn’t provoke

Nick Sandmann of Covington Catholic High School said he was trying to defuse the situation

Speaker brings report on allegations to B.C. legislature committee

Report describes Darryl Plecas’ suspicions about senior staff

B.C. man charged in 2014 snake venom death of toddler

Henry Thomas was taking care of the North Vancouver girl the day before she died

Man admits responsibility for 2016 death of Shuswap motorcyclist

Brian Watson, 60, died after being struck while riding his motorcycle on Squilax-Anglemont Road

Parole granted for drunk driver that killed BC RCMP officer

Kenneth Jacob Fenton will be able to attend alcohol abuse treatment, nearly three years after crash that killed Const. Sarah Beckett

Most Read