Mail is the target of the latest round of thefts.
On Monday, Kelowna RCMP received at least six separate reports of theft from various mail boxes in the city. The mail boxes were left open, each compartment broken into over the weekend
It is unknown what mail items were stolen, the only evidence being the open, broken mail box left behind.
The mail boxes targeted were at:
1. Hedeman Court at Trumpeter Road
2. Chute Lake Road at Frost Road
3. Neid Road at East Kelowna Road
4. 5600 block of Goudie Road
5. 6500 block of Sun Valley Road
6. 7700 block of Sun Valley Road
Mail theft can lead to identity theft and fraud if the documents contain personal financial information are stolen.
Here are a few easy steps to help protect your identity and prevent mail theft:
1. Collect your mail promptly after delivery.
2. If you’ll be away, get Canada Post to put a hold on your mail until you return.
3. When you move:
• File a change of address with Canada Post
• Advise your banks and other companies of your new address.
4. If your bills fail to arrive, contact companies immediately to ensure bills have not been fraudulently redirected.
5. Shred documents that contain personal financial information, such as statements and credit card offers
For more information on postal security, visit the Canada Post Website
Anyone with any information is asked to call the Kelowna RCMP at 250-762-3300. Remain anonymous by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477, online at www.crimestoppers.net or text to CRIMES (274637) ktown.