Central Okanagan RCMP Traffic Services cops were working hard last weekend as they stepped up traffic enforcement in several areas in and around Kelowna.
The resulting driver infraction statistics revealed that many motorists still need to change their driving behaviors.
The cumulative results show that:
• 206 motorists were served tickets with Motor Vehicle Act charges for offences such as speeding, seat belts, intersection violations etc.
• 36 motorists received written warnings
• 26 drivers were given approved alcohol screening device tests that resulted in four, three-day immediate roadside prohibitions (IRP) and two 90-day IRPs.
• two vehicles were impounded
• there were four separate seizures of marijuana, one of which resulted in a 24-hour driving suspension.
Police say motorists can expect to see increased traffic enforcement throughout the summer as the higher seasonal traffic volumes contribute to higher numbers of crashes and motor vehicle offences.