Anyone smelling smoke on the morning of July 13 in Rutland, here’s why.
Four fire engines responded just before 11a.m. to a spreading fire in the area of Highway 33 and Bryden Road, where people experiencing homelessness had allegedly taken up residence.
Inspector Paul Johnson told Capital News that a mattress had caught on fire, causing sparks among tree needles, eventually making its way up a tree.
The fire was quickly under control by first responders and put out.
Johnson added that recent rains mixed with upcoming dry and hot temperatures are a cause for concern.