A mother and her child are now safe after the car they were driving caught fire, on Friday afternoon.
According to Kelowna Fire Department Captain Zimmerman, the woman was stopped at a red light at Leathead Road and Rutland Road, when she noticed smoke coming from under her vehicle’s hood.
“It caught fire and it appears it was something faulty in the car,” explained Zimmerman.
The vehicle was completely destroyed in the incident; however the flames were contained to the engine department.
“The woman was able to get her child out from the backseat right away and there were lots of people here to help her,” said Zimmerman.
Neither were injured in the fire.
Traffic along Rutland Road was backed up while fire crews remained on scene.