Dear community leaders:
Ours is a wonderful community entrusted to your stewardship. Without a heads-up as to the future, the forecast is that we may well be smothered in our own waste.
There are several environmental concerns that require immediate governmental action at all levels. However, in addressing these concerns I urge a carrot vs. stick approach; that is regulatory incentives rather than penalties to encourage compliance. Some humble suggestions include:
1. Merchant incentives and sales deposits collectable for proper recycling of the millions of single-use bags, cups and food containers thrown away daily.
2. Tax incentives or grants to those replacing high water-usage front lawns with desert scapes.
3. Tax incentives or grants to those rebuilding old wharfs to meet new compliance standards.
4. Recycle bins at high traffic street corners, facilitating separation of garbage items.
5. Name recognition and community service awards to neighbourhoods that best exemplify beautification enhancement and recycling compliance.
Ian R. Sisett, Kelowna