Many of the Big White Racers’ young athletes wrapped up the competitive season March 28 and 29 at their home resort.
Slalom racing was introduced to the up-and-coming U10 kids, while U12, U14 and U16+ all had their chance to shine with 160 racers from Big White, Revelstoke, Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Apex, Hemlock, Grouse and Whistler.
In the end it was the Big White Racers U16 team, under head coach Wade Christie, which walked away with the top overall honours for the Okanagan zone.
Brooke Lukinuk and Zane Torres each were named top female and male in the U16 zone category. Nathan Tonogai was named second.
The results from March 28:
• Girls U10—Sydney Matzell 4th , Lily Zander 5th
• Boys U10—Simon Yannow 2nd, Nathan Lawson 3rd, Finley Cashin 4th
• Girls U12—Jenelle Giebelhaus 8th
• Girls U14—Amy Jorgenson, Hallie Jenkins
• Boys U14—Zander Torres 4th, Luke McMillan 9th
• Girls U16+—Olivia Baldassare 2nd, Brooke Lukinuk 4th
• Boys U16+ —Simon Bernard 1st, Zane Torres 2nd, Nathan Tonogai 6th
March 29 results:
• Girls U10—Shayna Little 3rd
• Boys U10— Nathan Lawson 5th
• Girls U12—Anna DeWynter 10th
• Boys U14—Adam Fricska 10th
• Girls U14—Jaxon Slaney 3rd, Hallie Jenkins 5th, Amy Jorgenson 6th, Cara Shaw 9th
• Girls U16+—Brooke Lukinuk 2nd, Olivia Baldassare 4th
• Mens U16+—Zane Torres 1st, Nathan Tonogai 4th, Cody Jorgenson 5th
Big White freestyle…
The Big White freestyle team travelled to Nelson’s Whitewater Resort to compete in the 4th Annual Smith Optics Junior Freeski Open March 27 to 29.
The free skiing competition, open to ages 7 to 18, involves competitors navigating their way through black and double black terrain featuring cliffs, airs and moguls.
The snow conditions were very sticky and variable and caused two athletes, Luciano and Gabby, to lose a ski each, dropping their scores significantly.
Big White athlete Caleb was also knocked out of the qualifiers after sustaining a sprained knee while doing a 180.
Big White athletes Lewis, Emelie, and Frederieka all skied clean and made it to the finals on the Blast run. Frederieka skied very well and finished 8th in the 12 – 14 age category. Her sister Emelie also skied well and caught some good air, landing in 6th in the same category.
On the boys side, Lewis dropped a big cliff up top of the run and ripped the rest of the run, placing him in seventh in the 12-14 age category.
“Despite the variable conditions, the team excelled in all aspects of this challenging event,” said Patrick Monteith, coach for the Big White Freestyle Team.