Under overcast and misty skies the ICWG cross country got underway this morning at telemark in West Kelowna and the first medals of the 5th Winter Games were won. In both boys and girls 3.5 km classic event, it was the city of Gorje, Slovenia, winning gold and silver, while Carson MacKenzie, of Team West Kelowna, took bronze for boys and Veronika Dimova, of Team Kelowna, captured the bronze in girls.
Boys 3.5km Classic results;
1. Miha Licef Gorje, Slovenia 0:11:34.6 – Gold
2. Valter Hudovernik Gorje, Slovenia 0:11:46.6 – Silver
3. Carson MacKenzi West Kelowna 0:12:04.7 – Bronze
The Top 10 positions saw West Kelowna in 3rd, 7th, 9th…Kelowna in 5th & 6th and Kamloops 10th.
Girls 3.5km Classic results;
1. Neva Pancur Gorje, Slovenia 0:12:40.5 – Gold
2. Neza Kosmac Gorje, Slovenia 0:12:51.3 – Silver
3. Veronika Dimova Kelowna, BC 0:14:12.7 – Bronze
The top 10 positions had Kelowna in 3rd, 6th, 8th, Kamloops 4th, 5th, 9th and West Kelowna 10th.
It was a busy morning at the Kelowna Curling Club with seven games in the opening round of competition for both boys and girls.
Girls Friday 11:30 am draw results;
• Coquitlam 9 vs Kelowna 3
• Abbotsford 3 vs Waterloo 11
• Kamloops 6 vs Whitehorse 8
Boys Friday 11:30 am draw results;
• Kamloops 2 vs Coquitlam 14
• Surrey 8 vs Kelowna 4
• Abbotsford 8 vs Chesterfield 4
• Seoul 8 vs Whitehorse 4
At both the Memorial and Rutland arenas, in boys’ hockey, Lake Country beat innsbruck, Austria, 14-1. Lake Country was lead by Logan Mick and Dakota Kittle with three goals each.
On the girls’ side, Hamilton Hawks defeated Strathmore, Alta., 9-0 and Kamloops edged Kelowna, 3-2.
Follow all the action of the Kelowna 2011 Games on Facebook, Twitter and www.kelowna2011.com.