Four local courses have been named inside the top 209 courses in B.C. by the PGA of British Columbia in its first ever rankings for golf courses across the province.
PGA of B.C. members were polled both online and via telephone to make their choices for the top three facilities in the province, the top course in their region and a hidden gem anywhere in the province.
In the end Predator Ridge was the highest ranking course coming in at number seven while Tower Ranch was ranked 14th, Gallagher’s Canyon 17th and the Kelowna Golf and Country Club came in at number 19.
Over the six week polling period, more than one-third of the association’s 650-plus members responded.
PGA of BC executive director Donald Miyazaki: “With PGA members being both competitive players on, and instructors at, all of the top courses across B.C., it was a natural fit to poll our membership to find their selections. Overall almost 100 courses received multiple votes and that just goes to show the depth of the quality of the province’s courses. Congratulations must go to the deserving facilities who made the three lists. We are sure that these selections will elicit a fair amount of dialogue.”
The ranking is a partnership between the PGA of BC and Inside Golf Magazine. Inside Golf managed the survey and contacted all facilities across the province and then tabulated the results.
Inside Golf publisher Jeff Sutherland: “It became clear as we received responses that two clear favourites were emerging and that Shaughnessy and Capilano would battle right down to the final few votes. Eventually Shaughnessy would take top honours by the smallest of margins. On the public-acess side, Big Sky has always had a solid reputation and now they have the top ranking to go along with it. Tobiano was a close second.”
PGA OF BC’S TOP TRACKS: 2012 PROVINCIAL “TOP TWENTY”
Location, course architect and year of opening are listed in parentheses after the course name
1. Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club (Vancouver / AV Macan; 1960)
2. Capilano G&CC (West Vancouver / Stanley Thompson; 1937)
3. Victoria GC (Victoria / possibly Harvey Combe; 1893)
4. Big Sky G&CC (Pemberton / Robert Cupp; 1995)
5. Royal Colwood GC (Victoria / AV Macan; 1913)
6. Tobiano (Kamloops / Thomas McBroom; 2007)
7. Predator Ridge GR / Ridge Course (Vernon / Doug Carrick; 2010)
8. Vancouver GC (Coquitlam / Alex Duthie / H.T. Gardner; 1911)
9. Talking Rock Golf Course (Chase / Cooke-Carleton; 2007)
10. Storey Creek (Campbell River / Les Furber; 1989)
11. Greywolf GC (Panorama / Doug Carrick; 1999)
12. Rivershore Golf Club (Kamloops / Robert Trent Jone Sr. / 1981)
13. Fairview Mountain GC (Oliver / Les Furber; 1926)
14. Tower Ranch GC (Kelowna / Thomas McBroom; 2008)
15. Marine Drive GC (Vancouver AV Macan; 1922)
16. Morgan Creek GC (South Surrey / Thomas McBroom; 1995)
17. Gallaghers Canyon G&CC (Kelowna / Bill Robinson; 1980)
18. Crown Isle Resort & Golf Community (Courtenay (Graham Cooke; 1992)
19. Kelowna G&CC (Kelowna / AV Macan; 1920)
20. Fairmont Chateau Whistler GC (Whistler / Robert Trent Jones Jr.; 1993)
Some hole-in-one’s to report from Sunset Ranch Golf and Country Club.
Guest Ken Baxter nailed his three rescue club 196 yards and into the cup on the 15th hole at Sunset Ranch. The shot was witnessed by Jackie Baxter, Derek Baxter and Bill Farley
Sunset member Rick Whittaker hit a perfect six iron on the 17th hole, hitting it 191 yards and into the cup. His ace was witnessed by Denis Layden, Dick Rosman and Geoge Basran.