Kelowna racers found their way to the podium last weekend as Big White hosted the Matrix Western Canada Ski X series.
Big White was the first stop is a three-part series of races across the west for athletes ranging from U12 and older.
Racing commenced Saturday as mother nature blanketed the track with falling snow but the conditions stayed solid and held up with a little help from the local course crew. This allowed the anxious competitors to complete their races in good spirits and offered some great spectator entertainment.
What a difference a day can make, Sunday offered a perfect bluebird race day resulting in some extremely competitive racing for all ages.
Results for local Kelowna racers include:
• U12 girls—Kiera Swift, 10, had a very strong weekend, standing on the podium twice with a gold and silver, while team mate Shayna Little collected a third on Saturday.
• U12 boys—The Big White contingent had a solid showing as Gavin Krebbers managed a silver and a sixth, Benjamin Hare won two third place medals, Johnny Ekinci narrowly missed the podium with a fourth and sixth, and Jordie Plaxton had a sixth and seventh. Finley Cashin had a seventh, then a strong comeback on the final day of racing with a second place finish.
• U14 girls—Hallie Jenkins was consistent all weekend with third place both days, and Jenelle Giebelhaus placed seventh on Saturday.
• U14 boys—Adam Fricska was fourth and sixth, while fellow racer Luke McMillan was sixth on Sunday.
• U16 girls—Cara Shaw carried away a fourth place on Saturday afternoon.
• U16 boys—Quinn Rasmussen landed with a second and fifth on the weekend and RJ Lukinuk closed it out with a sixth on Sunday.