An all-Kelowna matchup on the second weekend of TOYSL U15 boys’ soccer action resulted in a stalemate.
United opened the scoring on a PK early in the first half by Gavin Lawlor, before the Junior Heat answered quickly on a goal by Justin Matte.
United restored its lead in the second half on a goal by Nathan Gilbert, setting the stage for Matte’s second of the game to earn the tie.
In other action for United teams:
• U18 boys—Kamloops Blaze defeated Kelowna United 1-nil. Connor Sandrin scored in the second half for KU, but the goal was called off.
• U14 boys—KU/Junior Heat defeated Kelowna United 4-0. Carson Martin, with two, Aaron Brears, Franco Syrnyk and Zach Shields scored the goals, with Kaden Kiewitz earning a shutout for the Heat.
• U13 girls—KU/Junior Heat beat Shuswap 3-1. Down 1-0 in the second half, the Junior Heat tied it at 46 minutes when Teghan McCormick played a cross in to Tatum Grundy who finished from in close. Three minutes later, Olivia Lawrie scored the winner from long range, with McCormick later adding an insurance goal.
• U 13 girls—Kamloops Blaze edged Kelowna United Storm 2-1. Kaedence Mollin had the lone tally for KU.
• U13 boys—Kelowna United V (Yann) played to a 1-1 draw with Revelstoke. Down 1-0 in the second, Alec Miller scored on a cross from Mickey Krause to earn the tie.
• U13 boys—KU/Junior Heat shutout United V (Yann) 3-0. KU/Junior Heat opened the scoring 13 minutes in, then scored on a penalty kick late in the first half. The Heat rounded out the scoring with another in the second half.
• U12 boys—KU Cobras (Dryden) vs KU (Wight). The Cobras played with purpose and tried to get the ball out to their wingers quickly, leading to good scoring opportunities and a solid lead at half. KU W came back strong in the second half to make the finish a bit nervy for the Cobras who were delighted to hear the final whistle and congratulate the opposition on a game well fought.