history

The Royal’s 1951 visit to Revelstoke. (Photo by Revelstoke Museum and Archives #17)

PHOTOS: Prince Philip visited Revelstoke – twice

The prince died April 9 at the age of 99

 

A large crowd gathers for the arrival of Prince Philip and Princess Elizabeth in Salmon Arm in October, 1951. Image from the Denis Marshall Collection and courtesy the Salmon Arm Museum at R.J. Haney Heritage Village.

Looking back: Salmon Arm gave royal welcome to Prince Philip and Princess Elizabeth

Royals stopped in Tappen, Salmon Arm and Sicamous during 1951 tour of Western Canada

 

The first railway freight cars arrived at Summerland’s CPR Wharf in June 1910. The freight cars were loaded with fruit, vegetables, horses and cattle, which were then transported to Vernon and Kelowna. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
The first railway freight cars arrived at Summerland’s CPR Wharf in June 1910. The freight cars were loaded with fruit, vegetables, horses and cattle, which were then transported to Vernon and Kelowna. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Boats and trains once provided transportation in Okanagan Valley

Sternwheelers and Kettle Valley Railway were used to move goods in the region

 

Frank Ludwig in the control room. (Photo submitted)

The Day They Closed The Old Mill Down in song

Former member of Trooper captures the essence of small town struggles and triumphs

Frank Ludwig in the control room. (Photo submitted)
In 1909, water was diverted from Eneas Creek in Summerland to irrigate the Jones Flat area of the community. 
(Photo courtesy Summerland Museum)

Flumes once provided irrigation water to Summerland

Historic flumes can still be seen in parts of the community today

In 1909, water was diverted from Eneas Creek in Summerland to irrigate the Jones Flat area of the community. 
(Photo courtesy Summerland Museum)
The Women’s Institute Hall on Kalamalka Lake Road in Coldstream will be replaced with a new community hall and 84 new child care spaces will be constructed on the adjacent vacant lot. (Google)

Coldstream Women’s Institute continues to give

Historic group supports local charities and organizations

The Women’s Institute Hall on Kalamalka Lake Road in Coldstream will be replaced with a new community hall and 84 new child care spaces will be constructed on the adjacent vacant lot. (Google)
On Saturday June 6, 1908, a dam at Garnet Lake failed. Water raced down Garnet Valley and down Peach Orchard Road into Okanagan Lake. The road, bridges and culverts were damaged. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland damaged during flood of 1908

Flooding at Garnet Lake was not only flood in Summerland’s history

On Saturday June 6, 1908, a dam at Garnet Lake failed. Water raced down Garnet Valley and down Peach Orchard Road into Okanagan Lake. The road, bridges and culverts were damaged. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
A petition launched by a group of University of Victoria students calls for the renaming of Trutch Street. (Google Maps)

B.C. students lobby to get racist official’s name off Victoria street

University of Victoria students say Trutch Street puts racist history on a pedestal

A petition launched by a group of University of Victoria students calls for the renaming of Trutch Street. (Google Maps)
A 107-year-old baby photo was found in the pages of a book borrowed from the Vernon branch of the Okanagan Regional Library March 17, 2021. (Facebook photo)

Century-old baby photo found in borrowed Vernon library book

The Okanagan Regional Library is hoping to return the photo to its owner

A 107-year-old baby photo was found in the pages of a book borrowed from the Vernon branch of the Okanagan Regional Library March 17, 2021. (Facebook photo)
This historic photo is of the Kelowna train station in 1946. A crowd had gathered to welcome back the brave men and women who served in WW II. The photo was shared by Ron Gill to the Facebook group Old Kelowna. Today, at this location sits The Train Station Pub at 1177 Ellis St.

A look back at Kelowna’s past

The Kelowna train station circa 1946

  • Mar 18, 2021
This historic photo is of the Kelowna train station in 1946. A crowd had gathered to welcome back the brave men and women who served in WW II. The photo was shared by Ron Gill to the Facebook group Old Kelowna. Today, at this location sits The Train Station Pub at 1177 Ellis St.
This historic photo is of the Kelowna Golf and Country Club in the late 1920s. The photo is actually a postcard by Ribelin Photo and shared to the Facebook group Old Kelowna by Pat Royce. According to the group Old Kelowna, the first game of golf played in the city was in 1899 on a nine-hole course located near present-day city hall and the Memorial Arena. In 1914 the golf course was moved to a new location in the Bankhead area. However, the course never really took off due in part to its members leaving to join the armed forces to fight in World War I. In 1920, the members decided to purchase and move to the present location known then as the Wolaston property. At the time the club had 72 members. Later that year the club was incorporated and a clubhouse was built on the property.

A look back at Kelowna’s past

The Kelowna Golf and Country Club circa 1920s

  • Mar 11, 2021
This historic photo is of the Kelowna Golf and Country Club in the late 1920s. The photo is actually a postcard by Ribelin Photo and shared to the Facebook group Old Kelowna by Pat Royce. According to the group Old Kelowna, the first game of golf played in the city was in 1899 on a nine-hole course located near present-day city hall and the Memorial Arena. In 1914 the golf course was moved to a new location in the Bankhead area. However, the course never really took off due in part to its members leaving to join the armed forces to fight in World War I. In 1920, the members decided to purchase and move to the present location known then as the Wolaston property. At the time the club had 72 members. Later that year the club was incorporated and a clubhouse was built on the property.
Thomas John ’T.J.’ Smith paid for and built the wharf that bore his name. In 1910,  Summerland’s first cannery was located on the wharf. From 1904 to 1926, the T.J. Smith wharf was Summerland’s economic link to other Okanagan communities.  (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum and Archives)

Summerland wharf was important economic link

T.J. Smith bought and paid for wharf in Summerland

Thomas John ’T.J.’ Smith paid for and built the wharf that bore his name. In 1910,  Summerland’s first cannery was located on the wharf. From 1904 to 1926, the T.J. Smith wharf was Summerland’s economic link to other Okanagan communities.  (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum and Archives)
C.E. “Ned” Bentley owned a garage on Shaughnessy Avenue, now Lakeshore Drive in Summerland. Bentley later went on to serve on Summerland’s council and was recognized with the Good Citizen Award in 1939. (Summerland Museum photo)

Former Summerland reeve once ran garage

C.E. “Ned” Bentley was a prominent figure in Summerland’s past.

C.E. “Ned” Bentley owned a garage on Shaughnessy Avenue, now Lakeshore Drive in Summerland. Bentley later went on to serve on Summerland’s council and was recognized with the Good Citizen Award in 1939. (Summerland Museum photo)
The Township of Spallumcheen has approved $12,000 in COVID-19 Restart Grant funds to support the reopening and operation of the Historic O’Keefe Ranch March 1, 2021. (O’Keefe Ranch photo)

O’Keefe Ranch secures COVID-19 Restart funds

The historic Spallumcheen ranch has suffered significant losses due to restrictions on travel and gatherings

The Township of Spallumcheen has approved $12,000 in COVID-19 Restart Grant funds to support the reopening and operation of the Historic O’Keefe Ranch March 1, 2021. (O’Keefe Ranch photo)
The booklet roots present day activism in the history of racist policies, arguing the history must be acknowledged in order to change. (CCPA)

New resource dives into 150 years of racist policy in B.C.

Racist history must be acknowledged in order to change, authors say

The booklet roots present day activism in the history of racist policies, arguing the history must be acknowledged in order to change. (CCPA)
This historic photo is of Queensway Street in 1958, which used to be the off-ramp for the ferry to West Kelowna. To the right is the historic Willow Inn, which served as the Greyhound Bus terminal for years, in addition to being a popular restaurant and working man’s pub. It was also a strip bar and not exactly the tamest place in town. It once stood at 235 Queensway Ave. in Kelowna before being demolished in 2009. (Steven James photo)

A look back at Kelowna’s past

Queensway off-ramp circa 1958

  • Feb 25, 2021
This historic photo is of Queensway Street in 1958, which used to be the off-ramp for the ferry to West Kelowna. To the right is the historic Willow Inn, which served as the Greyhound Bus terminal for years, in addition to being a popular restaurant and working man’s pub. It was also a strip bar and not exactly the tamest place in town. It once stood at 235 Queensway Ave. in Kelowna before being demolished in 2009. (Steven James photo)
Students from Summerland’s Okanagan College often posed for photographs on the Big Rock. The rock was on the northern slope of Giant’s Head Mountain. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland’s Big Rock had been deposited during last ice age

Rock was once a prominent feature on Giant’s Head Mountain

  • Feb 25, 2021
Students from Summerland’s Okanagan College often posed for photographs on the Big Rock. The rock was on the northern slope of Giant’s Head Mountain. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Rob Rondeau, PhD candidate at SFU, is embarking on a mission to find definitive evidence of human migration to the continent. (SFU supplied image)

VIDEO: Marine archaeologist looking for clues of ancient migration in B.C. waters

SFU researcher hoping to find 15,000 year-old archaeological sites underwater

Rob Rondeau, PhD candidate at SFU, is embarking on a mission to find definitive evidence of human migration to the continent. (SFU supplied image)
A building at the corner of Main Street and Victoria Road in Summerland has been a downtown landmark since 1907. The building, originally the Summerland Supply Co. building, has had many uses over the years. (Summerland Museum photo)

Historic 1907 building still a Summerland landmark

Intersection of Main Street and Victoria Road has seen numerous business changes over the years

A building at the corner of Main Street and Victoria Road in Summerland has been a downtown landmark since 1907. The building, originally the Summerland Supply Co. building, has had many uses over the years. (Summerland Museum photo)
One of the winners of the City of Salmon Arm’s heritage conservation awards were Parmjit and Kulwinder Chahal who oversaw major restorations of the Downtown Activity Centre. (City of Salmon Arm/Facebook)

City of Salmon Arm recognizes heritage building owners

The owners of five old homes and buildings received awards for their restoration and preservation.

One of the winners of the City of Salmon Arm’s heritage conservation awards were Parmjit and Kulwinder Chahal who oversaw major restorations of the Downtown Activity Centre. (City of Salmon Arm/Facebook)