Good morning Okanagan! Let’s get you ready for the weekend that includes the big game!
Fun Fact: This Sunday is Super Bowl 57. Here is the some facts about the Super Bowl.
– The first Super Bowl was in 1967.
– Roman numerals were brought in for the 1971 game. This is because every football season falls over two calendar years.
– The Minnesota Vikings have played in four Super Bowls but have never played with a lead!
– In 1980, the Pittsburgh Steelers started the tradition of going to the White House to meet the President.
– No team has ever been shutout.
– Only one game has gone to overtime (Super Bowl LI)
– This year’s Super Bowl is the latest ever (until this season, it would take place on the first Sunday of February).
– The New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers have each won six Super Bowls.
– Recently retired quarterback Tom Brady won seven Super Bowls.
– Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are the only two quarterbacks to win the big game with two different teams.
– 12 teams have never won the Super Bowl and four teams have never even made it to the big game.
– The most-watched event ever was Super Bowl XLIX in 2015 – 114.4 million viewers. Nine of the top 10 most watched events are Super Bowls. The other? The series finale of M*A*S*H.
– The last five years, the average ticket price has been $6,214.
– $29,367 is the most someone has paid for a Super Bowl ticket.
– The NFL covers all the expenses for the halftime show (lights, staging, bodyguards, etc) but doesn’t actually pay the artist(s).
– More than 50 per cent of Canada will watch the game.
– This year’s game is in Arizona, in the same city of the PGA Tour’s biggest party tournament of the year, the Waste Management Open.
– This is the fourth time the state of Arizona has hosted the Super Bowl. The last time was in 2015 when the New England Patriots beat the Seattle Seahawks.
For this Sunday’s game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles:
– The Chiefs are 5-4 against the Eagles all-time.
– It’s the first time ever that two brothers, Jason and Travis Kelce, are playing each other in the Super Bowl.
– Kansas City played in the first Super Bowl in 1967.
– This is the Chiefs third time going to the Super Bowl in the last four seasons, with their last win coming in the 2019-20 season. They are 2-2 all-time in the big game.
– The Eagles have played in the Super Bowl six times, with their last win coming in 2017-18 season. They are 1-2 all-time in the big game.
– $1 billion will be used legally to bet on the game.
– 17 million people won’t go into work on Sunday. Because of this, companies lose a combined $4 billion.
On this day
In 1940, cartoon ‘Tom and Jerry’ debuts.
In 2006, XX Winter Olympic games open in Turin, Italy.
In 2014, Canadian Alex Bilodeau wins the gold medal in the moguls event for the second consecutive Winter Olympics.
Today is Children’s Hospice Day, All The News That’s Fit To Print Day, International Cribbage Day, International Winter Bike to Work Day, National Flannel Day, National Cream Cheese Brownie Day, National Umbrella Day, and National Home Warranty Day.
Weather forecast from Environment Canada
In Salmon Arm
In case you missed it
Cuteness overload at Lake Country’s new doggy daycare. Learn more here.
Woman suffering mental health crisis rams police vehicles, apprehended in Vernon. Learn more here.
Shuswap bowling alley bathroom damaged by suspect believed to have been trying to hide. Learn more here.
Ahead of the Super Bowl, check out this commericial from 1998.
Jerry Seinfeld in Super Bowl ad with Super-Man, 1998 pic.twitter.com/b6v6sfakPJ
— Historic Vids (@historyinmemes) February 9, 2023
If your birthday is today, you share a birthday with actress Emma Roberts (32), actress Chloe Grace Moretz (26), actress Elizabeth Banks (49), actress Laura Dern (56), actor Robert Wagner (93), and actress Uzo Aduba (42).
Have a great weekend and stay safe everyone!
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.