Son of Montreal mayor facing fraud, obstruction charges

Mayor's son faces fraud, obstruction charges

MONTREAL — The adult son of Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre is facing fraud and obstruction of justice charges stemming from an alleged cyberdependence issue.

Alexandre Coderre faces five charges according to a document filed at the Montreal courthouse, with the crimes alleged to have occurred between January 2015 and February of this year.

The 21-year-old has been charged with two counts of fraud and one each of credit-card fraud, making a false statement to police, and obstruction of justice for allegedly erasing data from his phone late last year.

In a statement to Montreal La Presse, Denis Coderre’s press attache said cyberdependence is at the root of the alleged acts and that the mayor himself alerted police.

Coderre also told the newspaper he doesn’t intend to comment further and will focus on taking care of his son.

The investigation was conducted by Quebec provincial police.

A justice of the peace signed off on the charges in late March and the younger Coderre was charged by summons, with a first hearing date scheduled for this coming Monday.

The Canadian Press

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version said the alleged acts occurred between January 2015 and January 2016

Just Posted

Cooler temps today, but no rain in forecast until August

Environment Canada does not have good news when it comes to fighting fires in the Central Okanagan.

Updated: Evacuation order downgraded to alert for properties near Peachland

Crews continue to battle the 1,000 hectare Mount Eneas blaze south of Peachland

Fire command centre relocating from Penticton to West Kelowna

Firefighting resources to be concentrated out of temporary camp

Lake Country firefighters lend a hand to combat 1,000 hectare blaze

The Mount Eneas wildfire remains out of control south of Peachland

Updated: Complete list of B.C. Interior wildfire coverage

Up-to-date information on blazes happening the Kamloops Wildfire Centre

Okanagan Wildfires: The latest on wildfires and evacuations

A Friday morning look at the major wildfires impact the Okanagan and Similkameen.

Summerland campfire ban issued

Ban took effect at noon on Friday to reduce wildfire risk

Ban imposed on vehicle access to Kalamoir Regional Park

Precaution taken due to high fire hazard

Power affected by wildfire

Approximately 244 B.C. Hydro customers west of Summerland affected by the power outages

VIDEO: How to throw a frisbee

Ultimate frisbee player Amy Mackay shows off the proper technique

Summerland Stomp cancelled

Wildfires in area lead to cancellation of event at Summerland Rodeo Grounds

Site C dam project plagued by problems: expert

E. Harvey Elwin expresses concern about internal BC Hydro and government documents

Tigers complete series sweep

Vernon grounds Kamloops 12-9 for Thompson Okanagan Junior Lacrosse League playoff title

Five small fires burn east of Oliver

At least one of the fires is suspected of being human caused

Most Read