The City of Kelowna says everyone knows somebody who is extraordinary—and now’s the time to identify them.
The city is asking the public to help it recognize the contributions of outstanding individuals and organizations by submitting nominations for the annual Kelowna Civic and Community Awards. The nomination deadline is Friday, Feb. 8.
The awards recognize the talent, dedication and generosity of men, women and youths who have contributed to making Kelowna a better place to live in 2018, said the city in its latest call for nominations.
In addition to the awards for man and woman of the year, athlete and team of the year, volunteer coach or sports administrator of the year, young male and female volunteers of the year, volunteer organization of the year, the champion of the environment, and honour in the arts, as well as teen honour in the arts, the Young Male and Young Female Volunteer of the Year award winners will also receive a scholarship.
The Dillon Thomas Budd and Payton Leigh Budd Scholarship awards funding towards the post-secondary goals to all three finalists. The award winners will receive $1,000 and the remaining finalists will receive $500.
This year, the recipient of the Teen Honour in the Arts award will also receive a $500 entrance scholarship to the Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies at UBC Okanagan.
The awards, to be handed out at a ceremony April 24 at the Kelowna Community Theatre, include:
• Central Okanagan Foundation – Volunteer Organization of the Year
• Champion for the Environment Awards (individual and business)
• Corporate Community of the Year (small and medium to large businesses)
• Fred Macklin Memorial Award – Man of the Year
• Sarah Donalda Treadgold Memorial Award – Woman of the Year
• Young Male & Female Volunteer of the Year
• Honour in the Arts and Teen Honour in the Arts
• Male & Female Athlete of the Year
• Bob Giordano Memorial Award – Volunteer Coach or Sport Administrator of the Year
• Bryan Couling Memorial Award – Athletic Team of the Year
Online nomination forms and information can be found on the Civic and Community Awards page on the city’s website at kelowna.ca/our-community.
Hard copy forms are available at City Hall and the Parkinson Recreation Centre. Completed forms can be dropped off at City Hall or Parkinson Recreation Centre or emailed to email@example.com. All nominees and nominators will be entered to win a draw prize.
To report a typo, email: