Hot fireplace ashes eyed as cause of garage fire in East Kelowna

Firefighters limit damage fire damage to garage but house suffers some smoke damage as well.

The Kelowna Fire Department is reminding the public to the public to collect fireplace ashes in a metal container and to make sure the ashes are cold before disposing of them after a fire on Diamond Road in East Kelowna Sunday damaged a home and garage.

When firefighters arrived, the garage was fully involved with fire extending into the living area of the home.

According to the KFD, quick action by the first unit on scene slowed the progress of the fire allowing firefighters to enter the building and limit the damage inside the home to mostly smoke and water damage.

An “aggressive” salvage of personal belongings was done by firefighters to protect family heirlooms and irreplaceable items.

Three people were home at the time and all escaped without injury.

A total of 19 firefighters with three Engines, one rescue vehicle,  one command vehicle and  one safety vehicle responded.

The fire was not considered to be suspicious.

The day before the fire department responded to a 911 call in the 400-block of Providence Avenue after a gas stove lit cabinets on fire and a dry chemical extinguisher was used to try and put out the flames.

Fire crews crews went in and put the remainder of the fire out.

The home was ventilated the house to remove the smoke, no one was injured and the residents are able to remain in the home.

As it does annually at this time of year, the fire department is reminding the public to check their smoke detectors and alarms and replace the batteries in detectors that are not hardwired into the buildings electrical system.