Men charged in Jonathan Bacon killing headed for trial in 2016

The three men charged in the gangland style slaying of Jonathan Bacon will get their day in court in 2016.

The three men charged in the gangland style slaying of Red Scorpions leader Jonathan Bacon will get their day in court nearly five years after the infamous shooting took place.

Jujhar Khun-Khun, Michael Kerry Hunter Jones and Jason Thomas McBride will face first-degree murder charges as well as four counts each of attempted murder, in a trial starting April 4, 2016 and continuing on for the following six months.

The lengthy process could offer answers to questions lingering since Bacon was fatally wounded while departing the Delta Grand Hotel, Aug. 14, 2011.

Gunmen opened fire on the Porsche Cayenne driven by Bacon in broad daylight, leaving the gangster dead and his four companions in various states of disrepair.

Full-patch Hells Angel Larry Amero and Independent Soldier James Riach, were wounded in the shooting. Leah Hadden-Watts, whose uncle is the president of the Haney HA chapter, was shot in the neck and paralyzed. Another woman, Lyndsey Black,  was said to be largely unscathed.

The shooting took place during the height of B.C.’s gang troubles. Representatives from the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit recently reported in bc-anti-gang.com, that there has been a  “significant decline” in organized crime homicides in the years that have followed.

The reason, the report highlighted, has to do with a series of high-profile investigations leading to charges, as well as new initiatives to prevent or reduce gang membership.

The investigation into the Bacon killing lasted 18 months and was dubbed E-Nitrogen. It culminated in the arrest of Khun-Khun, Jones and McBride in February of 2013.

The number of gang-related killings in B.C. fell to 13 last year from 18 in 2012 and has been cut by almost two-thirds from the 36 gang murders committed in 2009.

Nearly 100 organized crime figures or gang-related individuals were arrested and charged last year with more than 270 offenses in close to 30 B.C. communities, Hackett said.

The report’s release came after the province announced policing cuts that will pare the CFSEU budget by $2.8 million.