The Emergency Operation Centre is expanding evacuation orders for specified properties on Okanagan Indian Band and in the District of Lake Country.
Several properties on the OKIB reserve sa well as on Commonwealth Road in Lake Country are now under evacuation orders.
Also in the District of Lake Country 11019 Bottomwood Lake Road (includes property signed as 11039 Bottomwood Lake Road) is facing a flood risk.
Residents are asked to report to the Emergency Social Services Reception Centre at the Salvation Army Church at 1480 Sutherland Avenue (corner of Sutherland and Burtch) in Kelowna.
Upon leaving, close all windows and doors; shut off all gas and electrical appliances other than refrigerators and freezers; latch gates close but don’t lock; take critical items like medicine, purse, wallet, key and take pets in kennels or on a leash.
Meanwhile evacuation orders have been rescinded for the following properties in the City of Kelowna:
• 534 Sutherland Avenue
• 1915 Pacific Court
• 1955 Pacific Court
Emergency Management BC has new information available for residents to consider when returning to their home after flooding. Some areas of importance include the safety of drinking water, safety regarding electrical and gas utilities, food safety and caution surrounding removal of furniture and building material.
The Emergency Operation Centre recommends all sandbags be left in place even if it appears that stream and water levels are dropping. Conditions and weather can change without notice resulting in a return to high water levels and potential flooding.
What other areas remain under Evacuation Order?
Details and specific addresses can be viewed on the Regional Emergency Program website map www.cordemergency.ca/map.
The map also shows locations of sand and sandbags along with road closures due to flooding.
Okanagan Indian Band IR#7
• Order – 415 Commonwealth Road, Holiday Park odd number addresses from 439 to 461 Rest Route
• Order – 415 Commonwealth Road, Holiday Park odd number addresses from 403 to 417 Water Way Order – 720 Commonweath Road, 233, 234, 235, 236 and the unit opposite 233
• Order – 415 Commonwealth Road, Holiday Park– Beachview building
• Order – 415 Commonwealth Road, Holiday Park – Park Place building
• Order – 7841 Highway 97 – Turtle Lodges Order – 20 properties within Holiday Park Resort, 415 Commonwealth Road: odd number addresses from 439 to 461 Rest Route; odd number addresses from 403 to 417 Water Way
• Order – five units at 720 Commonweath Road: 233, 234, 235, 236 and the unit opposite 233
City of Kelowna (Orders)
• 1966 Richter Street
• 3545 Bulman Road
• 1826 Marshall Street
• 3897 Casorso Road
• 4697 Gordon Drive
• 1980 Ethel Street
• 1981 Gordon Drive
• 1824 Marshall Street
• 1237 Pacific Avenue
• 2002 Ethel Street
• 1902 Lindahl Street
• 1936 Lindahl Street
• 1948 Lindahl Street
• 1118 Brookside Avenue
• 1122 Brookside Avenue
• 1130 Brookside Avenue
Regional District of the Central Okanagan
• An Evacuation Order for Fintry Provincial Park remains in effect
• An Evacuation Alert remains in effect for approximately 90 properties in the Fintry Delta area, just south of Fintry Provincial Park. Properties that are affected by the Alert include those in the delta accessed by Fintry Delta Road, Morden Road and Shorts Road.
• Residents on alert should be prepared to leave their homes on short notice should conditions along Shorts Creek worsen. They may also wish to take steps to protect their properties from potential flooding.
What roads are closed?
• Old Vernon Road between Bulman and Anderson Roads
• Bulman Road
• Shannon Lake Road from east of Shannon View Drive to the intersection with Stevens and Bartley Roads due unsafe conditions caused high water at the bridge over McDougall Creek.
• Motorists accessing Lenz Road will be allowed through the east side of the closure, and Crystal Springs residents will be allowed through the west side of the closure.
• Residents taking students to school at Shannon Lake Elementary are asked not to park on Shannon Ridge Drive as this is currently an alternate route for Shannon Lake Road traffic. Please consider parking on Woodstock Drive, Sandstone Drive, Shannon Way.
• Residents taking students to school at Constable Neil Bruce Middle are asked to not park on Daimler Drive. Please consider parking on Auburn Road.
• Gellatly Road from Witt Road to Angus Drive due to unsafe conditions caused by slope instability.
• Gellatly Road Bridge over Powers Creek due to unsafe conditions caused by high water. Motorists are asked to avoid parking on the west side of the bridge (from West Kelowna Yacht Club to the Cove Resort) as clean up and restoration efforts are underway.
• Travel is not recommended on Chute Lake Road due to washouts and deteriorating conditions.
Declarations of Local States of Emergency
The District of Lake Country has declared a State of Local Emergency. Declarations of Local States of Emergency remain for the City of Kelowna, the City of West Kelowna and for the Fintry Delta in the Regional District of Central Okanagan to address flooding.
Disaster Financial Assistance
The BC Government announced yesterday that the Disaster Financial Assistance Program is available to residents of the Central Okanagan that have been affected by the recent flooding. Applications must be submitted by August 5th to Emergency Management BC and are available online at www.gov.bc.ca/disasterfinancialassistance. The program provides up to 80% of total eligible damage over $1,000 to a maximum claim of $300,000.