Sauna source of apartment building fire

Gordon Drive complex evacuated after smoke reported on the third floor of building in 3000 block of Gordon Drive.

  • Mon Jan 18th, 2016 5:00pm
  • News

A hot sauna was a little too hot for an apartment complex in the 3000 block of Gordon Drive in Kelowna early Sunday morning.

About 4 a.m., Kelowna Fire Department responded to a 911 call of reported smoke on the third floor of the apartment complex, after the fire alarm had been pulled and the building evacuated.

The source of the smoke turned out to e a  a sauna on the first floor that had been burning into the wall space. The fire was quickly extinguished

No one was injured in the fire while emergency social services was called to to care for one house pet.

The fire department reminds the public that when fire alarms are sounding residents should evacuate the premises.