Suspect in Kamloops shootout with Mounties expected to enter pleas

Shane Caron faces numerous charges, including four counts of attempted murder.

  • Nov. 6, 2018 11:30 a.m.

Shane Caron.

Kamloops This Week

A Kamloops man charged in connection with a shootout with police and a lengthy standoff in a trailer park last year is expected to plead guilty, a judge was told Monday.

Shane Caron was arrested at 4 a.m. on Oct. 28, 2017, following a 17-hour standoff with police in the G&M Trailer Park on the Tk’emlups te Secwepemc reserve.

The standoff followed a police chase and multiple exchanges of gunfire between the suspect and officers, Mounties said at the time.

At the time, police said they were called to a home on Nelson Avenue for a reported domestic assault. Officers said they attempted to make contact with the suspect before he threatened to shoot them.

Read more: Parents of suspect in Kamloops standoff say system failed their son

Read more: Kamloops man faces attempted murder charges following police standoff

Speaking to reporters following the incident, then-RCMP Supt. Brad Mueller said the suspect emerged from the house armed with a rifle and fled in a pickup truck. Mueller said police followed the vehicle to the Mount Paul Industrial Park. where the suspect is alleged to have engaged police in multiple exchanges of gunfire.

Mueller said the suspect then retreated to his family’s home in G&M Trailer Park. Police secured the area, shut down traffic along nearby Highway 5 North and Caron was eventually arrested.

The 39-year-old is facing a raft of charges, including four counts of attempted murder, which allege Caron was trying to kill four police officers by firing shots at them.

During a brief hearing in B.C. Supreme Court on Monday, defence lawyer Jonathan Avis said a plea agreement has already been reached on another one of Caron’s outstanding criminal files and he expects the same outcome for the remaining charges.

“The other one seems to be going toward resolution,” he said.

The previous charges — criminal harassment, uttering threats, two counts of assault and two weapons charges — stem from an alleged incident on Oct. 14, 2017, two weeks before Caron’s arrest following the G&M Trailer Park standoff.

Avis and Crown prosecutor Adrienne Murphy asked for two weeks to further their discussions.

Caron is slated to return to court on Nov. 19.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Women’s March draws small crowd in Kelowna

The small, but passionate, group marched along Water Street Saturday

UBCO Heat men’s and women’s basketball squads bounce over MacEwan

The women got their first win of the season, while the men keep their playoff hopes alive

Surrey man fined $10,000 by Kelowna’s Provincial Court

The man was convicted for three Wildlife Act offences after shooting a bull moose not in season

West Kelowna Warriors fall short to Vernon

The Warriors lost 1-0 in the hard fought battle

Rockets snap streak, shutout Everett 2-0

Kelowna got their first win in seven games against the second best team in the league.

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read