Hergott: Horrendous ‘accidents’ create accountability standards

It was impossible to identify, and hold accountable, the person who created that hazard in the first place.

Paul HergottA 10-month old baby suffered what was referred to by the judge as “horrible injuries,” when she got her hands and mouth on the electrically charged end of a modified extension cord.

The cord had been modified to have two pronged ends, one of which was plugged in.

A lawsuit is under way to pursue fair, financial compensation for the child’s profound injuries which have changed her life forever.

The first phase of that lawsuit is now over with a June 14, 2016, decision of Madam Justice Young who dealt with the “who’s at fault” liability aspect of the case.

The decision, Boyes v. Wong, 2016 BCSC 1085, can be found online.

Lawsuits like this one are important. Absent a lawsuit, which is all about accountability, this incident might have been simply viewed as a horrible “accident.”

The lawsuit has shone a very bright light on the incident to assess whether or not someone failed this little girl.

We can all learn from the analysis, as a reminder of what “duties of care” each of us might owe in similar circumstances.

Through the lawsuit, this child’s suffering can help prevent others from horrible injuries.

Was a lawsuit needed to shine a light on how dangerous it is to have an electrical cord with two pronged ends?

Incidentally, it was impossible to identify, and hold accountable, the person who created that hazard in the first place.

The modified cord was a part of a creative solution to run power through a built-in wall cabinet. The cabinet had been in place, with that dangerous double-pronged extension cord, for years.

The “creative electrician” certainly did not foresee the horrible consequences of the creativity. It’s a lesson to each of us who try to handle things that are outside our expertise.

How many electrical jobs are done without a qualified electrician? How often do we cut corners, and cut costs, by trying to do all sorts of things ourselves without bringing in the qualified professionals?

The true focus of the lawsuit was on the responsibilities of a landlord and property manager of a rental unit.

The hazardous cord was not readily apparent.

You wouldn’t know, looking at the end that harmed the baby, that the other end was also pronged and plugged into power.

Madam Justice Young carefully reviewed the provisions of the Residential Tenancy Act and the evidence of property managers that were called as witnesses at the trial.

Based on that review, she provided a list setting out “the standard of care owed by a landlord or property manager.” It is a list that should, in my view, be circulated among all landlords and property managers.

The list includes an obligation to conduct a thorough inspection of rental premises before renting to a new tenant, to ensure that the premises is safe.

The judge found that had this been done, the property manager would have looked through the wall cabinet and identified patently obvious unprofessional electrical work.

On identifying that issue, the property manager would have been expected to hire a qualified electrician to investigate the matter, which would have revealed the hazard.

How many landlords or property managers go through their rental premises, between tenants, with the level of care that has been determined by Madam Justice Young to be required by law?

How many basement suites were constructed without the assistance of a qualified electrician in the first place?

How many other types of hazards, besides electrical, might be identified if a thorough safety inspection is carried out between tenants?

Incidentally, it was determined that such a thorough inspection should be conducted not only between tenants, but also annually in the circumstance of a longer term tenant.

The list I referred to, setting out the standard of care owed by a landlord or property manager, is at paragraph 204 of the decision.

I would be happy to provide a copy/past of that list, as well as a link to the decision itself, to anyone interested. I hope to get a lot of requests.

Just Posted

Missing Kelowna woman found

Christine Olsen-Meissnitzer has been located

More than $270,000 raised for Kelowna-based hospice

10th Swinging with the Stars fundraiser for the Central Okanagan Hospice Assoc. is a big success

Former Kelowna councillor and radio talk show host Barrie Clark dies

Clark remembered as a fair-minded ‘statesman’ who saw the big picture when it came to Kelowna

Getting into the swing of spring

Kelowna garden shop is busy now that spring has finally arrived

Axe the tax says Kelowna city council

City says it wants B.C.’s Speculation Tax dumped because it could have a significant impact here

Rainy week ahead for Okanagan and Shuswap

Environment Canada is forecast rain for the next three days, starting Tuesday afternoon

Police officers injured in Trans Mountain pipeline arrests: RCMP

One suffered a head injury after being kicked, another hurt a knee, and a third hurt a hand

Horgan promises new school funding formula in B.C.

Premier addresses B.C. Teachers Federation AGM ahead of contract negotiations starting next year

Familiar faces return for writer’s fest

Some of the best return to Word on the Lake in Salmon Arm

Reader Photos: First day of spring around British Columbia

Our loyal viewers sent us some of their favourite Spring photos from all corners of the province

Five Canadian kids charged with making school threats

Police say online threats are on the rise

Not even Ellen DeGeneres can get Virtue, Moir to say they’re more than friends

Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir appeared on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” Tuesday

How to keep local news visible in your Facebook feed

Facebook has changed the news feed to emphasize personal connections. You might see less news.

RCMP warn public to stop pouring gas on fires after three incidents

Police responded to three recent incidents that sent seven people to hospital

Most Read