Some stellar individual performances were turned in at the 2016 edition of the Central Okanagan school zone’s track and field meet on Tuesday at the Apple Bowl in Kelowna.
Among the highlights was Leah McWilliam’s triple gold-medal performance on the track.
A Grade 12 student at Okanagan Mission Secondary, McWilliam won the senior girls 100, 200 and 400 metre events, edging out her twin sister, Rhianne McWilliam, for first place in each race.
Other multiple event winners in the senior category were:
• Willow Benitz, Aberdeen Hall—girls 800 and 1,500 metres.
• Neomi Stroda, OKM—girls shot put and hammer
• Sean Bergman, KSS—boys 2,000 steeplechase and 3,000 metres
• Alex Taylor, KSS—boys 100 and 200 metres
• Davis Hughes, RSS—boys 200 and 400 metres
• Austin Sandrin, Mount Boucherie—boys shotput and javelin
• Joel Aitken, KSS—boys triple jump and 300 hurdles
• Brandon Harder, GES—boys high jump and long jump
In the junior division, the multiple even winners were:
• Muriel Stroda, OKM—girls 80 hurdles, high jump and long jump
• Phoebe Price-Roberts, Aberdeen Hall—girls discus, hammer and javelin
• Bryn Walsh, KSS—girls 100 and 200 metres
• Taya Hanson, KSS—girls 400 and shot put
• Jesse Benneke, MBSS—boys 100 and 200 metres
• Turner Woodruff, OKM—boys 800 and 1,500 metres
• Mitchell Steven, CNB—boys high jump and long jump
The top three athletes in all events qualify for the Okanagan Valley high school track and field championships May 18 in Kamloops.
Multiple Grade 8 winners at Tuesday’s zone finals were: Lindsay Maier, Dr. Knox; Ashton Thorpe, CNB; Nolan Ulm, KLO; and Jordan Barker, GES.
Multiple Grade 7 winners were: Aiden Vint, KLO; Mateo Faraguna, OKM; Camden Elkin, OKM; Emma Cannan, Dr. Knox; and Ely Kokayko, KCS.