More than 100 athletes from the Big White and the Apex ski clubs went head-to-head at the Rio Tinto Nancy Green Ski League South Okanagan races on Sunday, Jan. 31.
With fresh overnight snow and sunny breaks during the day this enthusiastic group of five- to 11-year-old skiers took to the slopes at Apex in hopes of medal finishes.
Standing on the podium for Big White boys were Simon Yanow, 2005, 1st; Aries Laidlaw, 2006, 3rd; Sacha Jirasek, 2007, 2nd; Jacob Goodwin, 2008, 1st; Oliver Yanow, 2009, 1st and Hunter Kay 2nd; Cameron Roworth, 2010, 1st and Liam Silcock 2nd; and for the youngest group from 2011, it was Quinn Betker in 1st.
The Big White girls were equally as successful with Keira Swift, 2004 1st; 2006 Liv Willoughby, 2006; 1st; Taryn Shrock, 2007, 1st, Reese Swift 2nd and Samantha Hveding 3rd; Payton Betker, 2009, 1st; and Mia Sinclair, 2010, 3rd.
Other top 10 finishes for Big White girls and boys:
• 2005 Lola Gulyas 8th
• 2006 Claudia Clark 5th, Sophia Manoin 6th
• 2007 Sloane Betker 4th , Mia Makela 5th, Chloe Yanow 7th, Eliza Bell 8th Ashley Kay 9th
• 2006 Braxton Pal 5th and Ivan Silcock 6th
• 2007 Callum Sutton-Macmillan 4th
• 2008 Emerson Pal 4th and Olivia Clark 9th
• 2009 Layla Styles 2nd, Kadence Witzel 4th, Rae Roworth 7th and Tierra Elchuk 8th
• 2008 Finn Styles 5th and Dominic Gosselin 9th
• 2009 George Fraser 4th
• 2010 Olivia Henderson 4th and Lily Edstrom placed 7th
The next race for these youngsters is at Big White Ski Resort on March 5 and 6. Also attending will be Revelstoke, Vernon, and the Sun Peak clubs all in the hunt for overall top honors for best in the Okanagan Zone.